On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[email protected]>wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 19:19:59 +0300, Dan Rosenthal wrote: > >> I too have to say that while I agree with a narrowing focus, I disagree >> with the tabling of Fellowships. Not only have they brought a lot of great >> talent into the foundation (as I saw when I worked there, as well as >> after), but more than anything the WMF is an agent of disruptive >> innovation, and I feel strongly that encouraging Fellows to explore things >> that might not be viable for the rest of the staff (whether due to >> resources or interest) serves that innovation, and thus the foundation >> itself. I believe at one point there was a Fellow working on studying ways >> to improve en.wp's internal governance. After witnessing the utter debacle >> that is going on in the clarifications on Malleus' ban, I'm more convinced >> than ever that such a review is critical and that the WMF should actually >> be devoting MORE resources to this. Editor engagement comes not just >> through things like Visual Editor (which is awesome), but also creating a >> conducive environment for new editors from a policy standpoint. I'm afraid >> we're going to lose that in a narrowing focus. >> >> Dan Rosenthal >> ______________________________**_________________ >> Wikimedia-l mailing list >> [email protected].**org <[email protected]> >> Unsubscribe: >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l> >> > > > Hi Dan, > > whereas I can agree or disagree with you on your points, I fail to see the > connection to the Malleus's ban debate. Could you please elaborate? I am > not sure I would like to see WMF involved there, if this is your point > (probably not). > > Cheers > Yaroslav > > > > The connection is that it is an example of the significantly more negative/hostile environment and failure of en.wp's governance structure that harms editor retention; this is something that could have been studied and reported on by the Fellowship program. Basically, it's a specific example of a broader problem that would be perfect for Fellows to look at, were the program to continue. I was not advocating that the WMF be involved in Malleus's specific debate. -Dan _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
