I take the need for more organized and constructive movement in the U.S. as a
given.  It's shocking to me that we have *two* chapters in all of the country.
There's much important work to be done with GLAM, with the Education Program,
partnerships with universities, non-profits, libraries and museums, and with
general outreach.  Which is why I was so surprised by the resistance to the
idea of creating a US Federation that would have made forming local/regional
U.S. chapters extremely easy.  For some reason it was seen as a power grab or
an unneeded layer of bureaucracy, but from my perspective it was just the right
step to bootstrap tens and tens of active U.S. organizations.  While the WMF is
'narrowing focus' and spinning off more and more responsibilities to affiliated
groups, the opportunity to advance the U.S. towards working on the many needed
areas of improvement should not be missed. --Jake Orlowitz (Ocaasi)