On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Kim Bruning <k...@bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 04:48:57PM -0800, George Herbert wrote:
>> I almost wonder if having a "warning flag" for highly sensitive or
>> contentious article, encouraging editors without some threshold of
>> edits (500?  ... some number) to ask about contributions on the
>> article talk page first, rather than going directly to editing the
>> actual article...
>

> Note: Adds a threshold, thus negatively influences editor retention.
>

> sincerely,
>         Kim Bruning
>
> <scratches head> Maybe we need some sort of course/book "wiki-process design
> for
> dummies".

The converse of that is new user wades in unaware, is beaten up by
experienced editors who have long-standing biases and positions on the
article, concludes WP is full of opinionated asshats who want no
changes whatsoever, and leaves.

That never happens...

Every choice - including choices we are aware of, but chose not to
take - has an impact.  We're talking about these because we are aware
of negative impacts of the way we do things now.

That is not to say that adding process or technology helps.  But we
need to understand what's wrong with the current way of doing things
as part of the discussion.

--
-george william herbert
george.herb...@gmail.com