First of all, I'm glad there's a Wikimedia Shop. I don't think it'll make big money, but even if it's only self-sustaining it's totally worth it.

I also think that generally we should be happy to try stuff out and use banners to advertise new services.

However, I share with Mono the worry that large, colorful and distracting banners are becoming the standard, rather than the exception. I think part of the reason why "big" banners are used is because they are easier to create: most banners are created by copying existing banners and most existing banners are those huge fundraising banners.

We should remember that we have banners in all flavours:
* very low key --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=stew2011_noms * short & small --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=WMDE_community_budget * a bit larger --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=BrazilMeetups * do not use! --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=money_or_die

James, was the banner type/size a conscious decision you made? Or did you just choose to go with a standard ("big") banner?

Regards,
Tobias