I don't know if it's just an american school thing but I know the term from my professors (and before that some high school teachers) who had 'office hours' which were set hours when they could be guaranteed to be in their office without other meetings/commitments so that you could just drop by without an appointment an chat.
James James Alexander Manager, Merchandise Wikimedia Foundation (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[email protected]>wrote: > Rui Correia, 26/01/2013 14:36: > > I am a langugage person - speak a number of them, have a passion for >> linguistics, etymology and philology. I had understood that it was some >> kind of meeting, but was naturally curious as to why it should be called >> "office hours". >> >> Thanks for explaining, but it still leaves puzzled to call a meeting >> "office hours", when something less arcane would do - like "IRC-Chat", >> "Wiki-Chat", Wiki-Miti", "Wiki-gether" "Rendez-VouWiki", etc etc ..... >> > > I think the idea is/was that the "mysterious WMF office" opens for > everyone to "visit" and chat, through IRC. > > Nemo > > > ______________________________**_________________ > Wikimedia-l mailing list > [email protected].**org <[email protected]> > Unsubscribe: > https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l> > _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
