I'm not sure what this means for the movement - I'm sure there will be a long and lively discussion - but it's a very interesting turn of events in
IP law.

Well, on the one hand wikimedia host works in US, on the other hand,
how many works/articles hosted by wikimedia whom all authors are US
citizens can you find? As I understand it, they can't ignore
international copyrights.


Well, we have this problem that all files we use on Commons have to be free in both the country of origin (typically 70 years since the death of the author) and in the US (typically 95 years since creation if after 1923). This means that many of the things created in the 1920s and the 1930s which would be free or soon-to-be-free in the country of origin are still unfree in the US. In this sense, lifting the limitation that the file should still be free in the US would help. But I guess we are not going to relocate the servers to Antigua anyway.

Cheers
Yaroslav

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

Reply via email to