It was not and has not yet been decided afaik. This is just another recommendation that we do so. Last I heard on these lists, was legal was looking into as a prerequisite to inform any decision. Someone from the foundation can probably make a more official comment.

--michael

On 2/2/13 2:31 PM, David Gerard wrote:
So when and who authorised non-free formats?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Dale <md...@wikimedia.org>
Date: 2 February 2013 16:25
Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC &
mobile app feature request.
To: Wikimedia developers <wikitec...@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: Jan Gerber <j...@thing.net>

+correct content-type this time ;) Note this has already been merged,
but still worth mention for visibility.

On 2/1/13 12:10 PM, Michael Dale wrote:
We are about to merge in support for audio derivatives to Timed Media Handler
(TMH). The big value here, I think is encoding to AAC or MP3 and adding a
/listen to this article/ feature to the mobile app.
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/39363/

This can really help with improving accessibility of Wiktionary pronunciation
media files as well.

Also AAC / m4v ingestion, could make audio recordings a lot easier to import into the
site, i.e a "record a reading of this article" mobile app feature #2  ;)

There are already thousands of spoken articles, with some promotion their could
probably be a lot be more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spoken_articles

The software patent situation for mp3 is sad, considering how long the mp3
format has been around:
http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-of-mp3-patents/20070226/

I think AAC is a similar situation, encoder wise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#Licensing_and_patents

But fundamentally Wikimedia is not "distributing" these encoders and there are
no royalties for media distribution. Likewise we are not shipping decoders ( the decoders
are in browser or the mobile OS )

I don't know why Wikimedia's commitment to being accessible in royalty free
formats, somehow also precludes making content accessible for folks on
platforms that ~don't~ decode royalty free formats. But hopefully we can change
that over time.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I hope we could come out of
this thread with rough consensus to enable these formats to help increase the
reach of audio works.

peace,
--michael