Hello Kate,

Originally I wrote an inline comment about nearly every phrase of this
WMF board statement concerning the WCA. But then, the statement was
published before I could send the comment to you. Here a summary of my
original text as reply.

In general, the WMF board statement raises more questions than it
answers; it is uncomprehensible to me why such a bold and judgemental
statement was found necessary, at this moment, and for what reason.

During the entire year 2012, we heard from the WMF (board and staff)
many positive signals about the establishment of a Wikimedia Chapters
Association. So I find it very strange to read that in the 'early
stages' the WMF board was optimistic but now suddenly fails to
'envision' a positive development.

When I asked WMF vice director Erik Moeller on March 12th, 2012 about
the name "Wikimedia Chapters Association", he was perfectly okay with
it. He even copied for me this sentence from a chapters agreement:
"The Chapter is obliged to utilize the Wikimedia logo and name in all
their related activities and is hereby authorized to do so by the
Foundation."

All in a sudden, in late December 2012, a message from the WMF Legal
Counsel Geoff Brigham admonished that the WCA has to follow the usual
steps for recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate. - How came that during
roughly nine months the WMF did not think about this? We were given
the impression that this was rather a formality.

WCA Council Members did have many, many conversations with the WMF
(board and staff), and chapter people. How can anyone say that there
has not been enough 'consulting'?

Concerning movement resources - the WCA hasn't spend much money so
far, and intends just to have one employee in the nearby future.
Considering that the WMF has more than 140 employees, the WMF board
statement's remark about movement resources for the WCA looks very
disproportional. Our plan, encouraged by the FDC, that in future the
WCA would request WMF grants or FDC funds, and at that point the WCA
request would have been considered the same way as any other request.

It is true that the developments in the WCA are some months slower
than everybody expected in July 2012 in Washington. But in comparison
to the early years of the WMF itself, or of many chapters, or of many
other organizations, the developments are not particularly slow. Just
recently we sent out the Secretary General job offer (which can not
have been a surprise to the WMF) and have the final discussions about
the incorporation.

Please keep in mind that democratic processes take longer than
deliberating within a small group. It was the will of more than 20
chapters representing several thousand Wikimedians to establish a
Wikimedia Chapters Association, which of course still exists, even if
the WMF withdraws the name "Wikimedia". Especially in the recent
development, with a number of new movement entities, this is a
strange, surprising and more than premature decision.

It would be in the interest of the whole movement to come to a
trustful and cooperative relationship between the WMF and the
chapters. The last months we have seen so many positive signals, such
as the FDC Round 1. The WMF board statement concerning the WCA
insinuates that it has to protect the movement and the trademarks from
harm but leaves it unclear exactly how and why the WCA is harmful. Why
this attitude of distrust regarding the WCA and the chapters, with no
clear justification?

I, personally, have so often defended the WMF, I have assumed good
faith where many others were suspicious. The WMF board statement makes
now undue assumptions about an organization that is not even one year
old. After such a statement, I honestly ask myself what should be my
assumptions about the WMF board and its true intentions.

Yours sincerely,

Ziko van Dijk

Deputy Chairman of the WCA Council
Wikipedia editor since 2003