Thanks for posting a definitive answer on this topic - it is good to get
clear instructions about this longstanding question, even if I don't
personally agree with the outcome.

However, I would like to take issue with part of this blogpost:

"will continue to allow
nominative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use>,
non-stylized use of the “Wikipedia” word mark"

My instinctive reaction to reading this was to write something sarcastic,
but I respect Geoff to much for that. So, I'll say it directly: Please do
not say, either overtly or by implication, that the WMF gives its
permission for the community to use the word "Wikipedia". Nobody needs to
ask permission to write the name of an organisation or website so please
don't say that you've been so kind as to give us permission to do so. The
WMF does not "allow" us to use the word Wikipedia (or refuse it) anymore
than Coca Cola "allows" or "refuses" me the right to use the word "coke" -
especially when making truthful statements like "scanning this QRcode will
take you to Wikipedia".

-Liam

On Saturday, 9 March 2013, Rubina Kwon wrote:

> This morning, the WMF legal team posted a blog concerning trademark
> licensing practices going forward in the context of QR code projects and
> Wikitowns. Please go
> here<
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/08/wmf-trademark-practices-for-qr-codes-and-wikitowns/
> >in
> order to view the post.
>
> --
> Rubina Kwon
> Attorney
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street, 3rd Floor
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> rk...@wikimedia.org
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6794 (Office)
> 415.882.0495 (Fax)
>

> NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
> information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
> delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
> serve as a legal intern for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
> give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
> volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata