On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:57 PM, Michael Snow <wikipe...@frontier.com> wrote:

> Aside from that, it's only recently that Wikimedia sites have approached
> having the kind of redundancy and failover capabilities we've talked about
> needing for a long time. That's at least one example of something that can
> add pretty significant costs without having a material impact on traffic
> (except in emergencies, of course).

This.

The data in the various Wikis and ability for people to get to it and maintain
it are a public trust.

Before there was much Foundation or money, as internet public services are wont
to do, a shoestring needed to suffice.  It would not be responsible to go back
to those days.  It would actually be a betrayal of the trust and intent of
those donations over the years.

That is not to say that there is no way that technology or ops tools cannot
eventually possibly shrink those costs.  But we should be prepared to keep
spending that much.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone