Jan-Bart,

I reserve the right to speak with anyone at any time on any subject.
Thank you for your reply:

> my gut feeling is that you are asking an impossible question (and aware of
> this) and I assume that Garfield
> has much better things to do, but I guess if Sue wants to sound time on this,
> she will get back to you.

It took me about half an hour to derive an answer to the question
which I am confident is accurate to within an order of magnitude.  In
short, the CFAA amendments alone would likely cost readers, editors,
and the Foundation more than 500 times as much as SOPA or PIPA could
have cost, under what I believe is a very reasonable set of
assumptions.

If Sue or Garfield share your opinion that the question is
unanswerable, please let me know right away. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
James Salsman