On 8 Jun, 2013, at 12:24 AM, Matthew Roth <mr...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> We have had contact with the authors of the blog and they have said they
> will publish our response to their article, though I'm not sure when or in
> what format.

Great. That's really fast response.

On the issue itself, we haven't seen any large scale blocks for years (around
the time since last time Jimbo visited some Chinese official more than 4 or 5
years ago I think).

The secure.wikimedia domain was blocked long ago, but they waited till now to
block HTTPS, after 3 years? (I can't remember when it was enabled). I wonder
how long it took for them to realise.

It is suggested that this could be a long term block similar to how
secure.wikimedia was blocked - for HTTPS they have no control over content, so
they are simply blocking it all. For HTTP they are still performing deep
package inspection (means content censoring), so since they can filter what the
Chinese people can see, it's likely that they'll leave HTTP alone.

Regards,

Benjamin Chen / [[User:Bencmq]]