Laura

If this is a "VERY VERY important topiic", as you put it, then why don't
YOU help, instead of joingng the knee-jerking squad? If you agree that it
is a very important topic and you are apparenly a better journalist that
me, why don't you do a better job rather than attacking the messenger?

Answer the folowing questions:
Do we have problems?
Are we tackling them seriously?
Are we attacking the problems or attacking those who raise them?

Rui

On 1 August 2013 23:18, Laura Hale <la...@fanhistory.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Rui Correia <correia....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Can you honesty tell me that you have not come across articles that are
> > 'untouchable'? That you know they convey a view that is not entirely
> right,
> > but YOU and I cannot change it? Can you tell me that you have not come
> > across editors who are hell-bent on preserving this or that article just
> as
> > it is?
> >

> I too am a journalist with my work published on two different continents in
> print.   I am also a social media metrics lover.  As a journalist, I value
> verifiable, fact based, neutral reporting.
>
> If you are making the claim that English and Portuguese Wikipedia are
> doomed, I would love to see some verifiable, fact based, neutral oriented
> data sets to support the claim, especially as this would imply systematic
> bias on a large scale.  You have pulled one article and non-neutrally
> labeled it as a representative article for all projects.  Yes, I know of a
> number of articles and topics that are pretty much untouchable but this is
> far from 99% of all articles on the project.  (I would put the number at
> probably 0.1% and that feels generous.)  This feels like a sensationalist
> claim (which I would normally say is trumped up by the media in order to
> spin a story, but this is not a media story) based on one or two articles.
>
> Bad research.  Bad reporting. There are ways to get attention to this VERY,
> VERY important topic without resorting to sensationalist calls that have
> little thoughtful documentation.
>
> --
> twitter: purplepopple
> blog: ozziesport.com

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186