Hello,
Indeed it seems to me possible to fill a whole master studies with the
things a board member should know :-) but I know that he meant something
different. It would be a could idea to have board members going to
trainings to be a board member in the specific country where they live. A
course of a weekend, for example, would be already a good help. Everything
must remain a little bit realistic.
Possibly, some board members are more open to other Wikimedians than people
from the "outside world" - possibly not. Narrowing the target group down to
chapter board members to "staff chapters" is a good step, and I share the
arguments on the Meta page. Maybe one should let participants apply for the
seminar in a similar way as to Wikimania, in order to have those
participants most likely to succeed. For example, if someone is already
more than a year board member and likely to remain at least on a board for
another year, that would be a pro.
Kind regards
Ziko

Am Dienstag, 13. August 2013 schrieb David Gerard :

> On 13 August 2013 15:39, Federico Leva (Nemo)
> <nemow...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > True. Even worse, many do not even try to be board members (or active
> > chapter members, for that matter) because they (think they) don't have
> > enough experience. It's crucial to ensure the availability of growing
> paths
> > (usually informal) for volunteers or you lose them and they lose
> > opportunities.
> > For me, it's been crucial to be told by a prof. "you can learn the job
> of a
> > [university] board member in 6 months" (so it's inexcusable if you don't,
> > but you must try). He was right.
>

> A very useful book: Nonprofit Kit For Dummies by Stan Hutton and
> Frances Phillips. I so wish I'd read it 25 years before I did. Very
> US-centric, but informative outside that.
>

> - d.

Ziko van Dijk
voorzitter / president Wikimedia Nederland
deputy chair Wikimedia Chapters Association Council

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht
http://wikimedia.nl