On 10/23/13 2:08 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
Theo10011, 23/10/2013 00:21:
I'm quite surprised to constantly read FDC is somehow representative of the
larger community and accountable to them. Almost all the current members
were part of chapter leadership and have been quite active within that
circle. I suppose this is the same fiction as chapters inherently being
representatives of the larger community. The FDC is sort of a UN-like
gathering that yet somehow overlooks the largest and most active community
of all.

Perhaps you might want to take a look at the dismal rate of actual
community participation in FDC discussions. An year or so in to its
formation, there isn't exactly a stellar record and high-opinions to go
around. I hope I don't need to point to the recent news articles and
comments about the FDC and possible issues of corruption, which might have
even played a part in.......whatever this is.

I'm not sure how this matters for this proposal/request by the FDC: do such defects exist or apply only to evaluating the WMF budget? If not, how do they bring water to the idea of letting WMF be special compared to the other entities' funding?

From my perspective as someone not really involved in either the WMF or chapters (or other committees), but just an editor and a community member, I tend to see the WMF as "special" in this sense because it already has a Board of Trustees that in a fairly reasonable way represent the community/movement, who I trust to make decisions on funding priorities. Therefore it's not clear to me why *another* advisory board should be a second layer of bureaucracy evaluating its budget proposals. They are already evaluated by the Trustees primarily, and by the community as a whole secondarily, which seems like enough oversight. If the community disagrees with the WMF's direction or priorities, they can vote for different trustees in the next election, or otherwise suggest changes in its structure or membership. But in general I trust their judgment on how to allocate the Foundation's money in accordance with the mission.

Best,
Mark