On 31/10/13 02:51, Newyorkbrad wrote:
> In an arbitration committee election a couple of years ago, I definitely
> recall confusion about whether a deadline of 0000 on a given date meant
> that the deadline expired as of the beginning of that date or the end of
> that date.

Voting periods in SecurePoll are actually half-open intervals [S, E),
i.e. "starting at exactly time S, proceeding up to but not including
time E". So "E = 2013-11-03 00:00:00" is actually the correct way to
express a voting interval that includes the whole of 2013-11-02 and
nothing after that. However, I have been browbeaten into using
23:59:59 in more recent elections, thus stealing a whole second of
potential voting time from our poor voters.

-- Tim Starling