Since August we are implementing Wikidata for the Swedish 290 communes and 1900 "towns", including automatic update from the authority "Statistic Sweden" to Wikidata.

Our original assumption was that it would take us 8 month but it now seems it will not be enough, it will probably be more like a year to get it fully implemented, and I thought our experiences could be of interest to several (even excluding anything of the WD community or the "science" of properites etc)

QUALITY
My assumption was that the Swedish articles was 98% correct but that Wikidata ought to have 99,8% correct info. We found, though, as a start that WD was only 96% correct as it has been loaded from en:wp, which is, from a Q point for these entities, worse then de.wp, nl:wp and sw:wp. A critical information, that was missing, was the communcode/towncode, that is needed to implement an automatic update. In practice this has meat we have had to manually check and complement all objects on WD, that with its primitive interface meant it taking a very long time, one of us even temporary getting "repetitive strain injury"

INTRICACIES
When we have created articles on sv:wp we have only covered some finer intricacies of these entities in the article text. But with Wikidata it is not enough, it has to be handled fully correct. Trosa commun existed 1971-1973, was then merged into Nyköpings commun and 1994 broken out with some more areas to become again a Trosa commun. Sv.wp hase only one article for Trosa commun, but for wikidata we have created two entities one called Trosa commun (1971-73), whos corresponding entity on sw.wp is a redirect. Another example: Statistic Sweden defines the boundary of a town by strange advanced citerias meaning a real town is some year is seen by them as two towns. We have of these reasons been forced to define new properties, and create some hundred new entities in Wikidata, and check the corresponding redirect articles on sv:wp, giving them Categories etc, all OK but it takes time...

POTENTIAL
We are still convinced of the strong potential of WIkidata, but believe the full benefits requires an a (semi)automatic update of data from the authorities databases. In our case "Statistic Sweden" are positive, believe in Open data and have a nice API, but it is a new component for us to take care of, the datatransfer/update program/script, who will be responsible for this etc?

Experience from others are welcome to us

Anders