On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <yastrak...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> http://m.wikipedia.org used to be a hard-coded redirect to English
> en.m.wikipedia.org, except for the users in the Zero program. We now have
> an ability to have complex redirection for that domain. How do you think
> m.wikipedia.org should behave?
>
> We could redirect m. to ...
> * the current www.wikipedia.org, which seems to work pretty well on the
> smaller device screens
> * send users to the main page of the user's default language - based on
> the browser settings (Accept-Language header) - and later possibly even
> based on user's own language prefernces
> * ...
>
> Obviously it should be similar for other projects like wikinews, etc.
>
> I am not a big fan of building a full blown page at the m. URL, as that
> would involve much more work without a clear benefit - there are already
> www and main pages available, why build another one.
>
> Thanks!
> --Yuri

Completely agree that building a new page would be silly, we can just adapt
the portals themselves (already editable on meta) with some mobile specific
styling if it becomes a problem I think.

Personally I'd be a fan sending it to the main 'wikipedia.org' type landing
page. Couple reasons (some larger then others):

* I've never really been a fan of assuming that they want to go to a
specific languages (biggest reason)
* Finding 'other' languages on the main page of wikis (both mobile and not)
is possible but significantly easier on the main portal screen.
* I kinda like the idea of driving home, to anyone who visits that portal
at least, how many different languages we have. I feel like it could take
their fancy to check out some of the ones they may not have before (either
now or later).

James