Hi,

The report covering Wikimedia engineering activities in December 2013 is
now available.

Wiki version:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/December
Blog version:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/01/21/engineering-report-december-2013/

We're also proposing a shorter, simpler and translatable version of this
report that does not assume specialized technical knowledge:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/December/summary

Below is the HTML text of the report.

As always, feedback is appreciated on the usefulness of the report and its
summary, and on how to improve them.

Major news in December include:

   - a retrospective on Language Engineering
events<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/12/10/language-engineering-events-language-summit-fall-2013/>,
   including the language summit in Pune, India;
   - the launch of a draft
feature<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/12/20/new-draft-feature/>on
the English Wikipedia, to provide a gentler start for Wikipedia
articles.

*Note: We’re also providing a shorter, simpler and translatable version of
this report
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/December/summary>
that does not assume specialized technical knowledge.*

 Personnel Work with us <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us>

Are you looking to work for Wikimedia? We have a lot of hiring coming up,
and we really love talking to active community members about these roles.

   - VP of Engineering <http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=ods8Xfwu>
   - Software Engineer –
Growth<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=o8NJXfwl>
   - Software Engineer – VisualEditor
(Features)<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oqo6XfwB>
   - Software Engineer – Language
Engineering<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oH3gXfwH>
   - Software Engineer <http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=o09WXfwM>
   - QA Automation
Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oe09Yfw5>
   - Full Stack Developer –
Analytics<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=okwbYfwJ>
   - Analytics – Product
Manager<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=opkhYfwI>
   - Operations Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oX6gYfw1>
   - Sr. Operations
Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=o66gYfwa>
   - Operations Security
Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oT6cYfwT>
   - Graphic Design Interns –
Paid<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=ohN3XfwO>

Announcements

   - Sherah Smith joined the Wikimedia Foundation as Fundraising Engineer
   in Features Engineering
(announcement<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-December/073624.html>
   ).
   - Kunal Mehta <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm> joined the
   Wikimedia Foundation as contractor in Features Engineering
(announcement<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-December/073623.html>
   ).
   - Andrew Green <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AndyRussG> joined the
   Wikimedia Foundation as a contractor in Features Engineering, working on
   the Education Program
(announcement<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-December/073593.html>
   ).

 Technical Operations

*Datacenter RFP <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/RFP/2013_Datacenter>*
As part of our ongoing work in selecting a new location for our next
Datacenter, members of the team traveled to several candidate locations
throughout the US to tour facilities, meet facility staff, and otherwise
continue the selection process. Following this process, we have been able
to shortlist our bid proposals, and have begun the final selection process.
We hope to complete bid selection and legal review in January.Work
continues on migrating our remaining services to our Ashburn datacenter.
Consolidation and migration of databases, fundraising infrastructure, Labs,
as well as progress on updating the configuration (puppetization) of
several miscellaneous services was accomplished in December Additionaly,
“triage” of the hardware within the facility was performed, with an eye
towards what will be delivered to Ashburn, what will end up in our new
facility, and what will be decommissioned.

*Wikimedia Labs <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Labs>*
Andrew Bogott purged of empty projects and stale instances, resulting in
more accurate usage statistics for Labs:

   - Number of projects: 140
   - Number of instances: 403
   - Amount of RAM in use (in MBs): 1,592,832
   - Amount of allocated storage (in GBs): 21,525
   - Number of virtual CPUs in use: 797
   - Number of users: 2,425

Tool Labs saw a bump in usage as the winter holidays provided an
opportunity for volunteers to migrate tools from the Toolserver and work on
new projects; there are now 531 tools managed by 435 users, ranging from
simple database queries to elaborate editing adjuncts using the new OAuth
infrastructure.Work for the impending migration of Labs to the Ashburn data
center is well on its way: hardware is set up, the new storage servers are
configured, and a lot of fresh OpenStack puppet manifests are in progress.
 Features
Engineering<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Features_engineering>
Editor
retention: Editing tools

*VisualEditor <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor>*
In December, the VisualEditor team worked to continue the improvements to
the stability and performance of the system, and to add new features. The
deployed version of the code was updated three times
(1.23-wmf6<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.23/wmf6#VisualEditor>,
1.23-wmf7 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.23/wmf7#VisualEditor>and
1.23-wmf8 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.23/wmf8#VisualEditor>).
Most of the team’s focus was on major new features and fixing bugs. There
is now basic support for rich copy-and-paste from external sources into
VisualEditor, and a basic tool to insert characters not available on users’
keyboards. Work also continued on a dialog for quickly adding citation
templated references, and on some major infrastructure changes, splitting
out the core of VisualEditor from the MediaWiki-specific items like the
transclusion editor.

*Parsoid <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid>*

In December, the relentless Parsoid team continued squashing bugs and
incompatibilities; see our deployments
page<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid/Deployments>for details.
During the node 0.10 migration, we ran into some issues caused
by changed garbage collector behavior, and rolled back to 0.8. We spent
some time investigating and fixing this; initial testing on our round-trip
testing setup indicates that this is now fixed.

Our testing infrastructure is now exercising the entire stack including the
web server, which will help to make sure that we also catch issues in HTTP
libraries before deployment.

We wrote several RFCs about embracing a service
architecture<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Services_and_narrow_interfaces>,
PHP bindings for
services<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/PHP_Virtual_REST_Service>,
a general-purpose storage
service<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Storage_service>based
on our Rashomon revision store, and a
public content API based on
this<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Content_API>
.

Part of the team worked on a new PDF rendering infrastructure using Parsoid
HTML, node and PhantomJS. Part of the team has also been mentoring two
Outreach Program for Women (OPW) interns.
 Core Features

*Flow <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow/Project_information>*
In December, we deployed Flow to a few selected pages in production (
Talk:Flow <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Flow> and
Talk:Sandbox<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Sandbox>on
mediawiki.org) and collected feedback about the features and design to date
from the community. The results of the feedback period are summarized
at Flow/Research#Experienced
Users <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow/Research#Experienced_Users>.
Throughout the feedback period, we worked on implementing design changes –
such as a more compact view of the board and different affordances for
topic and post actions, as well as different visualizations of history
information – based on the comments of users testing the software. We also
began a straw poll about launching Flow as a beta trial in the discussion
spaces of WikiProject Breakfast, WikiProject Hampshire, and WikiProject
Video Games on English Wikipedia. Based on the outcome of these polls, we
hope to deploy Flow to those pages in January.
Growth

*Growth <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth>*
In December, the Growth team spent time working on product development and
research for upcoming Wikipedia article
creation<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_article_creation>improvements.
First and foremost, the team fulfilled a request from the
English Wikipedia community to launch the new Draft
namespace<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Draft_namespace>there. Pau
Giner and others on the team simultaneously began design work on
future improvements to drafts functionality (see blog
post<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/12/20/new-draft-feature/>),
including recruiting for usability testing sessions.
Support

*Wikipedia Education Program
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Education_Program>*
In December, we improved and fixed issues with the current Education
Program extension, and continued preliminary work towards a new version of
the software. We added a message on Special:Contributions about users’
participation in courses, fixed a bug involving course undeletion and
tweaked related styling, addressed a breaking change in core, improved i18n
(in collaboration with Language Engineering) and began work on
notifications for course-related events. We also fleshed out more ideas
about the new version and possible synergies with other existing and
proposed functionality, and reached out to other teams for input on this.
 Mobile <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Mobile_engineering>

*Wikipedia Zero <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero>*
During the last month, the team implemented a global landing page
redirector for mobile Wikipedia website access, added support for staged
configuration submittals, enhanced interstitials based on input from the
field from Wikipedia Zero markets, amended compression proxies support,
analyzed USSD/SMS service and partner launch-related access, and added
general bugfixes. The team also worked toward a generic JSON configuration
extension for use by extension like ZeroRatedMobileAcces, and started on an
HTML5 webapp proof of concept as an option for rebooting the Firefox OS app.

*Mobile web projects <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mobile_web_projects>*
We’ve been working on finishing the redesign of the overlays. Additionally
we’ve continued work on mobile on-boarding. The “Keep going” feature has
been changed to a workflow that asks users to add blue links and includes a
tutorial. This is consistent with what we’ve learned about how guiding
users helps accomplish more edits, and it fits into more of micro
contributory workflow that we want to experiment with. We’ve also worked on
an A/B test displaying an edit guider for users signing up from the left
nav menu. This is mirroring the edit guider that displays for users signing
up through the edit call to action. It also is consistent with the behavior
that the desktop site will be displaying to users as a result of the OB6
A/B
test<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Onboarding_new_Wikipedians/OB6>
.

*Wikimedia Apps <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps>*
The team added saved pages, article navigation, and language support to the
mobile Wikipedia app. During the quarterly planning meeting, it was decided
to postpone photo uploads from our market release plan in favor of text
editing.
 Language
Engineering<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Language_engineering>
Development
of the TwnMainPage
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TwnMainPage>extension was
completed;
Translatewiki.net <https://translatewiki.net/wiki/> now has a new user
registration process and a new dashboard for translators that provides
insight in a user’s activity compared to that of other users.Plural rules
for MediaWiki have been updated to comply with CLDR version
24<http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-24>.
There were consequences for existing translations in Russian, languages
that fall back to Russian, Serbian, Belarus and Ukrainian. These have been
updated semi-automatically, and past contributors have been informed and
asked<https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Thread:Portal_talk:Ru/Plural_changes_in_many_languages>to
help in reviewing the updates. MediaWiki
Language Extension Bundle 2013.12 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB> was
released. It is compatible with MediaWiki 1.21 and MediaWiki 1.22. The
MediaWiki language extension bundle provides easy way to bring ultimate
language support to your MediaWiki. The bundle is a collection of selected
few MediaWiki extensions needed by any wiki which desires to be
multilingual.A performance issue <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/53748> in
the Translate extension that prevented use of the status field for
translatable pages on Meta-Wiki was resolved.
 Platform
Engineering<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Platform_Engineering>
MediaWiki
Core

*Search <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Search>*
We’ve continued our aggressive rolld-out of Cirrus as a Beta Feature. You
can search now 52% of pages including Commons and Wikidata via
CirrusSearch. We’ve fallen back somewhat on our goal to make Cirrus the
primary search engine. Right now, we only handle about 1.5% of search
traffic. While we will be switching more wikis over to Cirrus as the
primary search back-end in January, the theme of the month really is adding
Cirrus as a Beta Feature to more wikis, including the English Wikipedia.
We’re not sure how many wikis we’ll be able to add before we consider
ourselves out of hardware space. We’re planning on 50% more servers in
February so we’ll likely be able to finish adding wikis then.

*Site performance and architecture
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Site_performance_and_architecture>*

The team wrapped up the Puppetization of Graphite and its migration to
Ashburn, and configured Travis CI to run MediaWiki’s test suite under HHVM
on each commit to core. They also added an initial HHVM role for
MediaWiki-Vagrant and re-wrote MediaWiki’s profiling data aggregator to be
more performant. Prior to the rewrite, it was constantly saturated and
would drop data; the rewrite reduced average CPU utilization by more than
two thirds.

*Auth systems <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Auth_systems>*
The team implemented performance fixes for CentralAuth to reduce the number
of calls by anonymous users.

*Wikimania Scholarships app
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimania_Scholarships_app>*
All critical functionality and several stretch goals were reached for the
“final” version, which deployed to production on 2013-12-19. Chad Horohoe
stepped in in the final days leading up to launch and helped save the i18n
features that were scheduled to be scrapped due to time constraints.
Siebrand Mazeland and the wonderful volunteers at translatewiki.net are
providing translations at a rapid pace. Bryan Davis also put in some extra
hours to clean up the look and feel of the application with a new
Bootstrap-based theme. The application period for Wikimania 2014 will open
at 2014-01-06T00:00:00Z and continue until 2014-02-17T23:59:59Z. The team
will continue to monitor and support the product through the application
period, and the subsequent review and approval process of the Scholarship
Committee.

*Security auditing and response
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_auditing_and_response>*
We continued to respond to reported security issues, and completed security
reviews of Flow, the Wikimania Scholarships app, and the GLAM Wiki Toolset.

*Admin tools development
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Admin_tools_development>*
The team made several small improvements, including log entries, the
addition of global groups to Special:CentralAuth, and the addition of
global edit count to Special:MultiLock.

*Release & QA
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_and_QA_Team>*

In December, the latest and greatest version of MediaWiki was
released, 1.22<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.22>.
This was lead by Mark Hershberger and Markus Glaser, working as the
MediaWiki release team, along with help from the Wikimedia Foundation
Release and QA team (specifically Greg Grossmeier and Antoine Musso). Of
course, this was only possible because of the great work by all of the
MediaWiki developers.

The QA team, along with Multimedia team, is working on API level tests
starting with UploadWizard. This is close to being done. Another API level
testing activity is Parsoid, with help from VE and CI (Antoine) teams.

You can take a look at the first draft of the updated Development and
Deployment process flow
chart<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Greg_%28WMF%29/dev_deploy_flow>
.
 Quality assurance

*Quality Assurance <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Quality_Assurance>*
In December, the Quality Assurance team worked particularly closely with
the Mobile team, both supporting automated testing and also helping fix
issues with Beta labs and with Jenkins. We continued to work with the teams
from Language engineering, VisualEditor, Flow, Multimedia, Wikidata, and
Search, as well as participated in the Google Code-In event. We are in the
process of creating new support not only for automated browser testing, but
also for API testing, test data creation, and monitoring of both test and
production environments.

*Beta cluster <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Beta_cluster>*
Parsoid on the Beta cluster is now based on the
mediawiki/services/parsoidrepository and is properly self-updating
whenever a change is merged in
that repository via a Jenkins
job<https://integration.wikimedia.org/ci/job/beta-parsoid-update/>.
Beta labs played a key role in finding and fixing some significant errors
that, in combination, were causing users to see 503 errors in production,
particularly on large pages and for Mobile users. For one thing, some
timeouts on the Varnish caches had been set too low. We had increased those
for the text Varnish servers but had not done so for Mobile Varnish
servers. A tricky bug was also causing parts of large pages to be parsed
multiple times. Last, the browser tests that incurred the 503 errors should
have been capable of ignoring them. Thanks to Beta labs, the Varnish server
timeouts are now correct, the multiple-parsing bug is addressed and the
browser tests for MobileFrontend are running correctly.

*Browser testing
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Quality_Assurance/Browser_testing>*
Besides ongoing regression testing of Wikipedia features in cross-browser
tests, in December we made the first steps for new abilities like testing
geolocation for Mobile tests, testing and monitoring upload ability in
production, adding the ability to create test data via the API, running
tests in PhantomJS on the WMF Jenkins server, and monitoring the Beta labs
test environment for fatal errors.
Engineering Community
Team<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Engineering_Community_Team>

*Bug management <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_management>*
Quim Gil and Andre Klapper continued to run and coordinate Google
Code-In<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-In>for Wikimedia.
Andre’s draft for a Bugzilla
etiquette
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_management/Bugzilla_etiquette>received
lively feedback and discussion. On the technical side, Daniel Zahn
prepared the migration of bugzilla.wikimedia.org to WMF’s new data
center<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tampa_cluster>by turning
the existing rudimentary Bugzilla puppet code into
a puppet
module<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:operations/puppet+topic:bugzilla+owner:dzahn+status:merged,n,z>and
automatically generating documentation on
doc.wikimedia.org<https://doc.wikimedia.org/puppet/classes/bugzilla/bugzilla.html>.
As part of this preparation, Daniel and Andre also eliminated nearly all
Perl CPAN modules (in Bugzilla’s /lib subfolder) on the new server by using
default distribution packages instead. Furthermore, Andre worked on a
preliminary
patch <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22170#c27> to display
some common queries on the Bugzilla front page.

*Project management tools review
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project_management_tools/Review>*
Andre Klapper and Guillaume Paumier kicked off an evaluation of
Wikimedia’s project
management
tools<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project_management_tools/Review>.
Guillaume prepared a consultation
page<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Project_management_tools/Review>with
topics for stakeholders and improved it together with Andre. It will
initially be sent to the
teampractices<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/teampractices>mailing
list and individual stakeholders. To facilitate getting input,
talking to individual stakeholders via Hangouts and holding an IRC
discussion <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours> are also
considered.

*Mentorship programs <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs>*

Wikimedia’s first participation in the Google
Code-In<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-In>program required
a lot of dedication from the ECT members, and about a
dozen of mentors and other contributors helping creating and reviewing
tasks. Students completed about 200 tasks. The GCI inertia and the lessons
learned will help us organize a better gateway for new contributors, which
was a main reason for us to join this program. We also believe that the
experience acquired will help us make future editions as successful with
less work.

Round 7 of the FOSS Outreach Program for
Women<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_for_Women/Round_7>started
and all projects and on track so far:

   - Compacting interlanguage
links<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Niharika/Project_Progress_Report#December_2013>
   .
   - MediaWiki Homepage
Redesign<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Monteirobrena/MediaWiki_Homepage_Redesign/Monthly_Reports#December>
   .
   - Complete mediawiki API development course on
codecademy<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Diwanshipandey/OPW_Internship_Report#December_2013>
   .
   - Clean up Parsoid round-trip testing
UI<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:5xbe/OPW_Monthly_Progress_Reports#December_10th_-_31st_.28three_weeks.29>
   .
   - Clean up tracing/debugging/logging inside
Parsoid<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Mariapacana/OPW_Progress_Report#December_2013>
   .
   - UploadWizard :OSM
Embedding<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Inchikutty/OPW_Internship_Report#December>

We joined Facebook Open
Academy<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Facebook_Open_Academy>almost at
the last minute thanks to a reminder from developer Tyler Romeo.
Six projects were accepted, which will be developed by teams of university
students during the first half of 2014:

   - Distributed cron
replacement<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Distributed_cron_replacement>—
   Coren <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Coren>
   - Cassandra backend for distributed round-trip test
server<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Cassandra_backend_for_distributed_round-trip_test_server>—
Gabriel
   Wicke <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:GWicke>, Marc Ordinas i
Llopis<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Marcoil>
   - Flow Right-To-Left language
support<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Flow_Right-To-Left_language_support>—
   Page (WMF) <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:S_Page_%28WMF%29> and
   Werdna <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Werdna>
   - Flow Edit Filter
integration<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Flow_Edit_Filter_integration>—
   Page (WMF) <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:S_Page_%28WMF%29> and
   Werdna <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Werdna>
   - OpenBadges <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/OpenBadges> and
Persona<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Persona>support for
MediaWiki —
   Parent5446 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Parent5446> and
Qgil<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil>

 *Technical communications
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_communications>*
In December, Guillaume Paumier <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Guillom>‘s
primary focus was on creating and assigning tasks for the Google
Code-in<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in>program,
mentoring students and reviewing their work. They worked on
writing discovery
reports<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Discovery_reports>,
adding TemplateData <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:TemplateData> to
widely-used Wikipedia templates, and converting manually-translated pages
on mediawiki.org to pages using the Translate extension. Guillaume also
continued to provide ongoing communications
support<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_communications/Tech_blog_activity>for
the engineering staff, and assemble and publish the weekly technical
newsletter <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News>, which is now
delivered across wikis using
MassMessage<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MassMessage>.
Last, he compiled readability
metrics<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/Readability>for all
past issues of the newsletter, as well as translation and
subscribers <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/Subscribers> metrics.

*Volunteer coordination and outreach
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Volunteer_coordination_and_outreach>*
We reached all our goals for submissions at
FOSDEM<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/FOSDEM>in Brussels
(February 1−2): a fully scheduled Wikis
devroom <https://fosdem.org/2014/schedule/track/wikis/>, a main track
session (The Wikipedia
Stack<https://fosdem.org/2014/schedule/event/the_wikipedia_stack/>)
by Erik Moeller, and the Wikimedia
stand<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/FOSDEM#Wikimedia_stand>coordinated
by Dimitar
Dimitrov <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dimi_z>. Our hiring process
for a technical writer
contractor<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-November/073077.html>was
unsuccessful. After screening dozens of candidates and interviewing
several of them, our three final candidates declined for various reasons.
Without time to hire a writer before the Architecture Summit
2014<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014>,
we decided to hold the search for now.
Multimedia

*Multimedia <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multimedia>*

In December, Mark Holmquist and Gergő Tisza updated the beta version
of the Media
Viewer <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multimedia/About_Media_Viewer>,
based on new designs by Pau Giner. This new
version<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multimedia/Media_Viewer#Next_Version>now
features next and previous arrows, as well as faster image load and an
enhanced metadata panel, as shown on this demo
page<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lightbox_demo>
.

Fabrice Florin managed product development, spearheaded the team’s Multimedia
Quarterly Review
meeting<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Multimedia_Quarterly_Review_12-03-2013.pdf>,
hosted more roundtable
discussions<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Roundtables/Roundtable_5>and
presented a Multimedia
Vision
2016<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Multimedia_vision_2016.webm>to
get more community feedback about our goals, with help from volunteer
Aaron Arcos.

Bryan Davis, Aaron Schulz and other team members helped Dan Entous and
David Haskiya release a first version of the GLAM
Toolset<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:GLAMToolset_project#Goal_1:_GLAM_Upload_System>for
batch uploads by museum curators. We also started work on fixing bugs
for the Upload Wizard, which we’ll aim to improve as our primary focus this
quarter.

Last but not least, we are delighted to welcome Gilles Dubuc, who is
joining our multimedia team <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multimedia> as
senior software engineer. To discuss these features and keep up with our
work, we invite you to join the multimedia mailing
list<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/multimedia>.
.
  Analytics <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics>

*Kraken <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Kraken>*
In late December, the Analytics team partnered with Operations to enable
log delivery over Kafka (distributed message bus). All logs from the edge
caches serving mobile traffic are now delivered via Kafka into a data
warehouse on our Hadoop infrastructure. We’re seeing 3−4K messages per
second, with a maximum of 8K/sec over Christmas. This is a significant step
towards our goals of building an infrastructure that can be used for
analysis of all of our page views.

*Wikimetrics <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Wikimetrics>*
The team added a small but important feature to Wikimetrics in December:
the ability to authenticate against MediaWiki OAuth. This allows users to
sign up for Wikimetrics without relying on a third party for authentication
and is an early adoption of MediaWiki OAuth.

*Data Quality <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Data_Quality>*
The team continues to spend a large amount of time on data quality. The
primary effort in December was in isolating and fixing an error in
WikiStats that inflated page views from July to December by a significant
amount. The error was patched in early December and the statistics were
recalculated. There were also issues with Wikipedia Zero traffic and an
outage caused by a single point of failure in the legacy infrastructure.

*Research and Data
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Research_and_Data>*

This month, we kicked off a series of monthly research showcases as an
opportunity for the team to share what we’re learning about Wikimedia
editors and projects, and new features and programs the Foundation is
rolling out. Aaron Halfaker presented research on anonymous
editors<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anonymous_editors_-_WMF_R%26D_showcase_%28Dec._2013%29.pdf>.
The first showcase was targeted at an internal audience but we’re
considering making future showcases open to anyone via a public stream.

We
analyzed<https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/document/d/1kpJrfataS5KAxGXFoygQVhMlzFftjsvX9HktSAAKfrQ>the
cause and impact of major over-reporting on page views in the last
months of 2013. We filtered bogus traffic from the data, and published updated
reports <http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthlyCombined.htm>.

We also continued work on metrics
standardization<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Epics/Editor_Engagement_Vital_Signs>and
presented<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Metrics_Standardization_10_Dec_2013.pdf>the
rationale for this project and the results of the initial round of
analysis we conducted.

This month also saw the completion of the third volume of the research
newsletter <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/R:Newsletter>, which this year
covered a total of 196 publications reviewed by volunteer contributors. A
retrospective of research covered in the newsletter in 2013 will be
published later in January.
  Offline

*PDF rendering <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PDF_rendering>*
Work started on this project aiming to replace the back-end renderer for
the Collection extension (mwlib). This is the renderer that creates the
PDFs for the ‘Download to PDF’ sidebar link and creates books (downloadable
in multipe formats and printable via PediaPress), using Special:Book. One
of the goals is to take advantage of Parsoid to do the parsing from
wikitext. The team worked on the new parser, the ‘Collection Offline
Content Generator’. The team will continue to work on this project over the
coming weeks. Read
more<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/74051>in
the mailing list thread.

*Kiwix <http://www.kiwix.org>*
*The Kiwix project is funded and executed by Wikimedia CH
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH>.* We have released two new
versions of Kiwix for
Android<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kiwix.kiwixmobile>this
month (1.7 & 1.8), providing many new features; most of them were
developed by young new developers as part of the Google Code-in
program<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in>.
Work continues around tools based on Parsoid output, especially as we need
to rewrite the ZIM-related code for the MediaWiki offline
toolchain<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PDF_rendering>,
currently under heavy re-engineering. We have compiled download stats for
2013, and for the first time we have reached 700,000 downloads of the Kiwix
app a year. Work to digitally sign the OSX and Windows binaries is ongoing
and is the last step before releasing 0.9rc3. We have started experimenting
with porting Kiwix-plug <http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Kiwix-plug> to
RaspberryPi <http://www.raspberrypi.org/>, and it looks good. Lots of new
ZIM files were generated; we now generate a ZIM file of
Wiktionary<http://download.kiwix.org/zim/wiktionary/>,
as well as ZIM files without pictures.
 Wikidata <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata>

*The Wikidata project is funded and executed by Wikimedia Deutschland
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/en>.*
The Wikidata development team continued to work on quantity values,
including localization, support for scientific notation and the user
interface. They also worked on performance by improving caching and
database handling. DataValues Serialization
0.1<https://github.com/DataValues/Serialization/>was released, as well
as Ask
Serialization 1.0 <https://github.com/wmde/AskSerialization> and Wikibase
DataModel
0.6<http://www.bn2vs.com/blog/2013/12/23/wikibase-datamodel-released/>.
A new DataModel
serialization<https://github.com/wmde/WikibaseDataModelSerialization>component
was started, which will allow authors and people analyzing dumps
to have the deserialization task solved for them.
 Future The engineering management team continues to update the *Deployments
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments>* page weekly, providing
up-to-date information on the upcoming deployments to Wikimedia sites, as
well as the *annual goals
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2013-14_Goals>*,
listing ongoing and future Wikimedia engineering efforts.

*This article was written collaboratively by Wikimedia engineers and
managers. See revision history
<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/December&action=history>
and associated status pages. A wiki version
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/December>
is also available.*

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation