NYB,

Thanks for reminding me - this slipped my mind in amongst my other work.
The brief outline I did is at https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Digitisation.

The problem is that digitisation - proper digitisation - is not something
that can really be done without employing staff to do it. First there's the
scanning, obviously - which is simple enough. IMO the Coolscan is the best
for this (for under £5k anyway), but it's difficult to get hold of,  and we
don't really have the technical skills to maintain it. Tempting though -
but we'd need to prove that it was worth the cost.

WMDE did a full review into it and worked out that, with the number of
slides that need scanning, it's best (ie most cost-effective) to hire
something like a Hasselblad X5 for a day.

The other problem - and it's a big problem - is, as POTW says, the
post-processing and indexing. A good scanner will automatically
post-process for you (to a degree). And you'll need your own offline
database - Commons is not great for actually storing images because they
tend to be deleted if you're not careful, and you can't control the
categorisation (or indeed, much else - the community controls it)

A few examples from the one we have in our office are at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Files_generated_with_WMUK_Ion_Film2SD_Pro.
The slides are from a 1970s camera, so they're not amazing to begin with.
But it gives you an idea.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992