I don't really understand how this is a response to my question, but thanks
for the pointer anyway. It doesn't explain why we would want one rule for
all projects, it doesn't explain why we want it to be 'enforcable' in the
first place.

I'm answering also here to keep the discussion streamlined.

Best,
Lodewijk