For those of you who don't read Ukrainian, a quick ad-hoc translation of
the blog post. So sorry for the loss of a fellow Ukrainian and such a
bright young member of the Wikimedia movement :(

* * *

"Wikipedian Igor Kostenko dies on the Maidan.

February 20, 2014, during the protests in Kiev, Igor Kostenko – an active
contributor to the Ukrainian Wikipedia, journalist and geography student –
died tragically.

Igor Kostenko was born December 31, 1991, in the village of Zubrets in the
Buchach region of Ternopil. After graduating from high school, he attended
Ivan Franko University in Lviv, where he was in his fifth year of study in
the department of geography, majoring in Organizational Management. In
addition to his studies, he worked as a journalist for the publication
"Sports Analysis."

Igor was an active contributor to the Ukrainian Wikipedia, writing under
the username Ig2000.[1] Igor registered an account on July 23, 2011, and in
just that month began writing his first articles. In two and a half years,
he wrote over 280 articles and made over 1,600 edits. He had a wide range
of encyclopedic interests – he wrote articles on sports topics (soccer,
Formula One), geography, economics, and the history of the Ukrainian
military. His article on the Nezamozhnyk destroyer of the Ukrainian and
Soviet fleet in the first half of the 20th century[2] was acknowledged for
its quality by the community and achieved the status of "Good article."
Additionally, he contributed many updates on sports events to Wikinews.

Igor was also active in promoting Ukrainian Wikipedia on social media,
through which he sought to gain more contributors. He was an administrator
of the Ukrainian Wikipedians Facebook page,[3] where he regularly posted
interesting facts from Wikipedia. In August 2013 he proposed hosting a Wiki
Flashmob – inviting a large group of Ukrainians to participate in a day of
article-writing on Wikipedia. The Wiki Flashmob was planned for January 20,
2014, the 10-year anniversary of Ukrainian Wikipedia, but due to the tragic
events in the country, the event was cancelled. Igor believed that the
flashmob would help fill Wikipedia with thousands of new articles in the
course of a day and proposed a strategy to realize his dream, but
unfortunately, he did not live to see it become a reality.

On February 18, 2014, along with other students from Lviv, Igor came to
Kiev to the Euromaidan, because he wanted Ukraine to be led by people with
a patriotic spirit. On February 20th, during a protest on Instytutskaya
Street, Igor died tragically: he bravely went ahead with a shield, but he
was shot by two bullets, one of which struck him in the head...

Today, February 23, Igor was buried in his home town of Buchach. Thousands
of people accompanied him on his final journey – both students from Lviv
and residents of Ternopil.

In honor of Igor and the tens of others who died on the Euromaidan,[4] on
February 21, the community decided to modify the logo of the Ukrainian
Wikipedia with a black ribbon as a symbol of mourning.

The editors of Ukrainian Wikipedia and Wikimedia Ukraine offer their
condolences to the friends and family of Igor Kostenko. A page has been
created on Wikipedia where you can leave your condolences.[5]

Memory eternal..."

1.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D1%83%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%87:Ig2000
2.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA_(%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BC%D1%96%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86%D1%8C)
3. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukwiki/
4.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BA_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%85_%D1%83%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%96%D0%B2_%D0%84%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%83
5.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E%D0%B1%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F_%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D1%83%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0:Ig2000/%D0%9F%D0%B0%D0%BC%27%D1%8F%D1%82%D1%8C

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> Big sigh.
>
> According to Wikimedia Ukraine blog, one Wikimedian was killed: Ihor
> Kostenko, a student of Geography born in 1991.
>

> http://wikimediaukraine.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/in-memoriam-of-ihor-kostenko/
>
> You can express condolences here:
> https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ig2000/Пам'ять

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> > The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
> > as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the
> government
> > forces.
> >
> > I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
> > Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself
> were
> > beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
> > happening there now.
> >
> > My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
> > members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
> > living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
> >
> > Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> > help you.
> >
> > Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
> >
> >                 Tomasz

Maryana Pinchuk