On 03/03/2014 12:50 AM, Pau Giner wrote:
> The video, in Catalan, can be viewed at
> http://www.tv3.cat/videos/4930191/30%2520minuts%253A%2520VIQUIPEDISTES

Yes, thank you!

The documentary was good but, as a whole, more Catalan-centric than I
personally expected. Still, the ca.wiki community has started to discuss
the possibility to cut the documentary in "capsules", and then some of
those might become very good introductions for just anybody interested
in how Wikipedia works. No specific plans yet.

The producers did a good job at compiling diverse perspectives and focus
areas: how some editors started with a first edit, how veteran editors
work on top quality articles with references, how admins deal with
vandalism, neutrality and different views in different languages, GLAM
and the photographers, community meetings, WMF and the state-based
chapters vs language-based projects, the role of public libraries and
museums as educators, content creators and gender gap shifters, the
views from the academia...

One recurrent topic was the massive use of Wikipedia among young
students, with funny scenes at class when the kids laugh because their
works use basically the same sentences, all copied in a single stroke
from the same articles. How the teacher encourages them to use Wikipedia
but find your own words to express those ideas, where researchers think
that all this is heading to...

They also interviewed the guy that created the first article in ca.wiki,
which happened to be the first article in a language other than English
 -- https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80bac . It was interesting to hear
from him that one day the text-based Wikipedia will be history because
most probably learning will be based in media. It kept me thinking
whether it will be still the Wikimedia community who will ride that
wave, or someone else with fresh ideas and without the legacy and
community burdens we have...

Anyway, at least Amical and ca.wiki have now very good audiovisual
materials that will help them a lot reaching out to new contributors and
explaining to them all the things we do here.