On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 1:35 AM, rupert THURNER <rupert.thur...@gmail.com>wrote:

> as i overrun my monthly limit of mails allowed on this list already,
> and i do not want an unrelated discussion on a public mailing list,
> this in private:
>
> nathan, would you be so kind to invest a little bit more thought into
> your mails? i pay bandwith for receiving your mails, and thousands of
> others also. just a couple of questions you might consider answering
> for yourself before contributing to a discussion about ticket prices
> on wikimania:
> * do you edit wikipedia, and how much?
> * if you do not edit, why? and why you use the time to write emails?
> and make others read your emails?
> * do you give money to wikimedia, and how much?
> * do you write software for wikimedia, and how much?
> * do you participate in conferences, meetings, and how many?
> * do you know accounting, and are able to calculate "the price of
> attending"?
> * if paid persons help organizing, this means a conference in UK is
> much more expensive than say in tansania?
> * should we host conferences then only in low wage, good connected
> cities, like mumbai?
> * if you go, what persons you want to meet there? beggars? subsidized
> people? not price sensitive people?
> * if you give money, would you like to attach a string, like "only for
> server operations"?
> * did you ever think that subsidizing people who need is a government
> business in many countries?
> * do you think i missed some angles in the above list?
>
> i even did a little research before sending this email. if you look at
> your stats, you write minimum 10-20 mails to "the movement" every
> month:
> * http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/ScanMail/Nathan.html
> * http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/ScanMail/_PowerPosters.html
>
> and by writing such emails, you even earn recognition:
>
> http://sciencepolice2010.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/the-wiki-wankers-2-nathan-awrich/
>
> i'd be really glad to see mails from you where i can notice that you
> put some work into that mail, which helps me to learn new things, get
> new angles, and progress. and i even would not care if, instead 20, i
> only have to read 2 a month.
>
> best regards and a happy sunday,
> rupert.

Hi Rupert,

I've been reading and responding to the list since 2007. I edit the English
Wikipedia from time to time, under my name or anonymously, although not
nearly as much as I used to... but I remain a believer in and supporter of
the Wikimedia movement, and I try to keep current on its progress. Once in
awhile I offer my thoughts on one of the mailing lists, and I have donated
money in the past (but not since WMF revenue crested into the tens of
millions). I do attend conferences, and I am familiar with the principles
of accounting.

It is true that sometimes I get "recognition" of the type you link to,
where a banned user researched my background, discussed it on his blog,
labeled me a psychopath and suggested I be fired from my job. Along with an
old threat of a lawsuit from an Italian megamillionaire, I consider such
interactions the price of supporting Wikimedia under my real identity. Yet
though I have answered your questions, I no more need to justify how I use
my time to you than I do to the "sciencepolice" blogger. If you would
prefer not to waste bandwidth on receiving my posts, feel free to filter
them out. I won't return the favor, because telling people I disagree with
to sit down and shut up just isn't my style.

Have a great rest of the weekend yourself,
Nathan