On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:46 AM, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pete Forsyth wrote:
> >
> >... there are very good reasons to be cautious about how much
> > and what kind of advocacy the Wikimedia Foundation engages
> > in, but by and large, the reasons are not *legal* ones. They're
> > related to our vision, our mission, our strategic plan, and our
> > model of community governance.
>
> Any new set of potential advocacy topics based on no editor growth
> instead of exponential editor growth should be reviewed for legality,
> compatibility with vision and mission, but not strategy or governance,
> because choices made for those topics are necessarily influenced by
> the volunteer growth rate. Thereby circular dependency in reasoning
> can be avoided. If someone implies that some of them are illegal or
> incompatible with vision or mission without saying which ones or why,
> then I generally don't take them seriously. People have had plenty of
> time to raise specific objections for specific reasons, and over time
> the extent to which they have or have not becomes significant. And I
> agree with James Alexander's concern about spreading effort too thin,
> which is why I've been trying to encourage ranking the combined set at
> http://www.allourideas.org/wmfcsdraft
> which has been picking up a little lately.

Interesting. What is it supposed to measure? If it is supposed to measure
what the Wikimedia community thinks the WMF should prioritize, it got me
fooled, and is potentially very misleading. When first looking at it I
thought it was about what I find more important. Those are to very distinct
things. It may not be measuring what you think it's measuring.