For organizations that pride themselves on openness and transparency,
being told that WMF Board Trustee candidates have made speeches, been
asked questions and taken part in thoughtful discussion about our
Wikimedia Movement in closed sessions that will remain unpublished,
seems a long way from being open or transparent.

I feel this could have been easily and cheaply made open, simply by
anyone with a smartphone recording some of the Q&A and putting the
file on Commons. Even poor quality reporting is better than apparent
secrecy.

Fae

On 14 April 2014 15:41, Chris Keating <chriskeatingw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to drop everyone a note about the two sessions in Berlin on
> Sunday morning about the Affiliate Selected Board Seats.
>
> I regret it proved impossible to stream or properly record the Q&A session
> - we did not have appropriate equipment to capture audio. Nevertheless we
> heard speeches from Alice, Frieda and Patricio, the latter taking part
> remotely from Argentina. Unfortunately some nearby church bells started
> ringing during Patricio's speech, but after they fell silent Patricio was
> able to continue. Anders was not able to join in by videocall, but was able
> to answer questions posed to him by email.
>
> I would also like to say a little about the closed discussion session.
> About 40 people attended, including at least one person from most of the
> chapters present and Amical. We also invited User Group representatives to
> participate in the discussion and a number did so. Generally, it was a
> thoughtful discussion about the needs of the WMF Board and the movement.
>
> Everyone is welcome to continue to pose questions on Meta, here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2014/Questions
>
> A final list of candidates will be announced on or shortly after 15 April
> (tomorrow) and organisations have until 31 May to cast votes.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris Keating

Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.