On 15 April 2014 20:50, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing broader community opinions about the
> extent to which WMF should sponsor non-profits purely to support work
> that Wikimedia benefits from, even if it's not directed towards a
> specific goal established in a grant agreement.

Creative Commons, OpenStreetMap spring to mind. What are their budgets
like? I expect ours dwarfs theirs. We should throw money at Freenode
on a regular basis.

CC is a charity, I think OSM is a nonprofit but not actually a UK
charity as yet (though WMUK achieving charity status makes that more
achievable if they want to go for that).

Internet Archive and Archiveteam is not something we use as heavily as
any of those, but they need it too.

Is there anyone else whose stuff we prevail upon that we really should
be helping?

- d.