Hi,

I can't speak on behalf of the rest of WMF staff, but since I made three
edits to the 'Zack Exley' article, I feel that I owe a public explanation
of the three edits that I made.

Here are the edits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Zack_Exley&diff=506286326&oldid=504412402

In my judgement of myself, I have a few breaches/COI/errors that I made
that I should not have done:

1.) It seems that I made the edits during normal work hours. If I recall, I
made the edits during my lunch break (but I can't remember). A few months
ago I was reading the WMF employee handbook and realized that any personal
editing is not allowed during work hours. Until then, I was unaware of an
exact 'rule' for this. That's my fault. I don't have a job so that I can do
the 'fun stuff' that I'd like to do - I have a job because there is a job
to do, that's what I'm here for. That's it. That's all. This brings me to
my second breach/COI/error:

2.) As you can see, the edits I made were an update to a photo on the 'Zack
Exley' article. I made these edits from my personal account. I should
mention that in the past, I have been sloppy about which account I used
(WMF staff account or personal account). This is because in my role
(especially in 2011-12), I have to capture stories, which takes time and I
was reaching out to dozens and dozens of editors. I found out early on that
when I used my personal account, Wikipedians were more likely to contact me
back, so I got into the habit of largely ignoring my staff account, since
it was important that I could relate to other editors on an
editor-to-editor level, especially since my role is getting people to open
up to me to tell me about themselves personally and why they became editors
in the first place. I specifically remember one editor who said that they
respected it more that I was a Wikipedian before I became a WMF staffer.

3.) I shot the photo that I added with the purpose of updating this page:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors
but the Wikipedian in me got the better of me and I put the image in the
other place where I thought it had utility, the article about Zack Exley.
This was stupid. I should have put it on the talk page, and requested that
another editor update it.

I have a history of bullheadedness and just going ahead:
(Press play from 1:02:25, I talk about how my first edits were vandalism)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NsY48OQdc

My current work involves a school in South Africa, and while I started the
page for the school when I had no connection with it, I came to realize
that it was a conflict of interest to keep editing after I had developed a
relationship with the school and the administration, so I started to add my
additions to the talk page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinenjongo_High_School

But there was another issue that I would like to bring attention to, which
is somewhat more appropriate to the conversation at the moment. I have
created a few videos and added several photos that I have placed in this
article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation

One edit I made in particular was so incredibly stupid to make, because it
was a recruiting video for WMF:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Foundation&diff=490221632&oldid=489877055

Fortunately, User:MZMcBride reverted it many days later:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Foundation&diff=494368795&oldid=494345362

I can't find the response I made, but I recall saying something to
user:MZMcBride like 'Kick me upside the head if I ever do something stupid
like that again'.

I've always tried to step away from the issues of paid editing since media
content-generation for fundraising and other WMF-related content is my
role, not policy-generation or discussion around such issues. But as staff
of the Wikimedia Foundation, and a staffer who creates media which could be
called advertising, propaganda or public relations or whatever you'd like
to call it, I may be someone who should speak about the issue.

I don't think that I should have made a few of the edits that I have. Some
were stupid because of a conflict-of-interest with the thing I'm
illustrating and my employer. It insults the core point of NPOV.

That said, from the perspective of the paid-editing issue of Wikipedia
content, I do think that as long as editors who work for companies make it
clear who their employers are (like I do on my user pages, both staff and
personal), and where their potential conflicts of interests may be, that
they may have quality content that they can use to illustrate and
constructively improve Wikipedia articles and so should be allowed to edit
in some capacity.

Per my opinions about WMF staff editing Wikimedia-related content, I think
that the talk page suggestion above is a very reasonable way to create
content and avoid COI editing. My only issue would be timeliness of
updates, but that is a minor concern from my perspective.

I have never been a person who followed all the rules exactly, and was
initially attracted to Wikipedia for those reasons (see the youtube video
link above), so I apologize for any rule-ignoring/breaking behavior.

I will also say that I haven't spoken with or consulted any colleagues at
WMF or any other editors or people involved with Wikimedia at all regarding
this issue I'm writing about right now. im writing this because I felt it
was important to do so. I feel it fair that the issues raised here be dealt
with in a straightforward manner since I'm responsible for my edit history
and my own personal opinions. I certainly don't wish to antagonize any of
my colleagues with my opinions or words here. I think it's important to
make things plain. I'm saying this all as an explanation, not an excuse. I
value the questions raised and points made on this thread because they all
point towards high standards. It points WMF staff to lead-by-example, which
(to put it bluntly) will never not be a pain in the butt. It's something
that should happen and people pointing out flaws (no matter how tiny or
insignificant they may seem) are important to do. The minute that stops
happening, that's bad for NPOV.

I'm open to any thoughts or feedback regarding anything that I have done
above or have said in this thread.

Thank you for your time.

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>