I hear where you're coming from, Gryllida.  This only works if there is
some mechanism by which the affiliation can be confirmed.  The (WMF)
affiliation is easily confirmed, and in fact anyone adding that affiliation
to their account name who isn't a WMF staffer gets blocked pretty quickly.

However, there's no easy mechanism to verify an affiliation external to the
WMF family.  I understand our colleagues at the German Wikipedia have a
process for verifying authorized accounts for specific entities, but their
community considers them role accounts and restricts them in particular
ways.  Other projects, including English Wikipedia, have essentially
"banned" role accounts.  What would happen if David (MIT) accepts a
position at Stanford? Does he have to change his username to David
(Stanford) - oh, that won't work since the original edits would be related
to MIT...so he'd have to start a new account David (Stanford), and somehow
link them.  What issues would arise if the user doesn't want to change
usernames once he's no longer affiliated with an organization?

I admit I'm partial to what German Wikipedia is doing with role accounts
for organizations, but given the harshness toward "commerce" accounts on
some other projects, I'm not sure it would work universally.

Best,

Risker/Anne