On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM, James Alexander
<jalexan...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org>
> > wrote:

> > > I honestly do not know the numbers, though I'd wager "most" is close to
> > > reality - certainly any recent addition to the teams.
> > >

> > Ah, interesting. I wonder why its necessary for most or all WMF staffers
> > have accounts with an explicit WMF affiliation.
>

> Aye, given the nature of our work the vast majority of staff have a staff
> account of some sort (not everyone uses separate accounts though we
> strongly encourage them to). In the end almost everyone on staff has a
> reason, at some point, to edit on a public wiki whether they are HR/Finance
> ( discussions or postings about FDC proposals/budget publications etc) or
> technical/community/grant focused. For many that need actually tends to
> lean towards meta and/or mediawiki only though a fair bit stretch elsewhere
> on the projects ( engineering and community people especially ).
>
> Philippe and I have worked hard to try and make the 'staff' user group as
> it traditionally stands a very 'as needed' right and so the default is now
> to give out no rights or "smaller", more focused, rights (meta admin,
> central notice admin, global interface editor etc) that fit their need. (
> we ask for a use case for every rights request, you can see most of them
> here
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvhjkTJIpW2zdDl1bVBuOU1jQUJwOHd5YmhmSzFaZHc&single=true&gid=5&output=htmlsysadmin
> rights aren't on there because they are generally handled by
> engineering).
>
> Overall we don't actually require separate accounts at the moment but I
> strongly encourage them, I think it behooves everyone to have a clear
> distinction between 'personal' and 'work' actions and the separate accounts
> help that significantly. I also think it helps in locking down access if
> they depart the foundation at some point.
>
> James

Thanks, that makes sense. After I asked I thought about project specific
wikis, meta, wikimediafoundation.org, etc. I do see that any staffer may
need access to one or more of these wikis, and with SUL that accounts get
propagated across all projects anyway.