Cometstyles, et al

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Comet styles <cometsty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well done Russ, hopefully we can get more government sites to release
> their images on a fully free licence...product placements aside, the
> goal for wikimedia Commons is to provide the best possible image
> available for use "freely" online and we should just focus on that..a
> good "cropping" can sometimes remove unwanted "adverts" from the
> background ;)v

Indeed, whilst we on our projects should concentrate on getting the best
possible photographs, we shouldn't be ignorant to the fact that often the
best photographs are taken by those who have a professional interest in
those subjects, and they have the budgets to be able to spend top dollar on
getting those photos.

We also shouldn't be ignorant of the fact that these companies obviously
have an interest that may not correspond to our own, but there is no reason
that we can't, and shouldn't, use that to the advantage of both us and
them. We just shouldn't make promises to them (i.e guaranteed placement)
that would be unethical for us to make. As you can see from the examples
I've provided, all we need to do is make the photographs available on
Commons, and natural editing will inevitably take place and the photos will
be put into use in the best places possible.

Having said that, I have now made contact with Pirelli, and am already
discussing with them the possibility of getting a large image release.

Cheers,

Russavia