Micru,

There are several related aspects of datasets, that I would enumerate as:

1) Storing / archiving datasets
2) Editing / manipulating datasets
3) Using excerpts (e.g. specific data) from datasets

Each of these involves a different, but related set of tools.

It isn't entirely clear to me, but I think the question you started
with is aimed at how we might use excerpts from externally managed
datasets.  For example, having a way to pull data from CKAN and have
it appear in a Wikipedia article?  That would remove steps one and two
from immediate consideration, as someone else would be responsible for
maintaining the data.  On the other hand, the responses so far seem
more aimed at question one, i.e. where / how would Wikimedia best
store datasets.

Personally, I think all parts of the question are ultimately
important, as I would love for Wikimedia to have a complete data
management solution.  But am I correct in thinking that you asked the
question primarily out of a desire to think about how we could use
externally managed data sets?

-Robert Rohde