On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Lane Rasberry <l...@bluerasberry.com>wrote:

> The major problem is that labor is wasted because there is no easy way to
> search intersections of categories. Instead of having a category for 18th
> century French painters, it would be ideal to just have tags for "people in
> the 18th century" "French people" and "painters" and let the users remix
> those tags instead of being forced to look in only that branch.

The search engine (new, as well as old) supports category intersection. So
actually, searching intersections of categories is very easy.

Don't believe me? Here's a totally random category intersection from
Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&profile=advanced&search=incategory%3A%22People+in+1992%22+incategory%3A%22Black+and+white+photographs%22&fulltext=Search&ns0=1&ns6=1&ns9=1&ns100=1&ns106=1&profile=advanced

Finding new ways to expose this data *outside* of the search results
page and api.php would be cool/interesting/nice.

-Chad