On 20 May 2014 02:16, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:

>>I'll be leaving Commons categorisation until it's tags rather than
>>ridiculously specific subcategories.

> Commons has tags right now: they're called categories. Or is there a
> distinction you're making? :-)

We've been talking about this for years ... picking the precise
subsubsubcategory is a pain in the backside. Most or all would also
fall out as Boolean queries on tags.

I've been here since 2004 and I still go to Commons and have trouble
finding the subsubsubcategory I'm actually looking for in the search.

Expecting users to know our category tree is user-obnoxious. Tags are common.

As Gerard notes, they would also solve the problem that everything is
categorised in English.

I vaguely recall a proof-of-concept was coded and working in Postgres
several years ago, but the same thing had unusable performance in
MySQL so the idea was shelved.

- d.