From: EFFector List <edi...@eff.org>
Date: 2014-05-16 8:43 GMT+02:00
Subject: New "Who Has Your Back" report shows Internet companies competing
on privacy
To: Cristian Consonni <kikkocrist...@gmail.com>

View as a web
page<https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=650>
     [image:
EFFector!]<https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=650>
[image:
Electronic Frontier Foundation] <https://www.eff.org/>

In our 661st issue:

   - UPDATES <#14603c5c779f5b63_Updates>
   - MINILINKS <#14603c5c779f5b63_minilinks>
   - ANNOUNCEMENTS <#14603c5c779f5b63_announcements>

When the Government Comes Knocking, Who Has Your
Back?<https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-government-data-requests-2014>

When governments are after your personal data, which online services will
stand up and defend it? In our fourth annual *Who Has Your Back* report, we
look at companies' public policies and practices, so that privacy-conscious
consumers can make an informed decision about who to trust with their most
sensitive data. We were pleased to find out that, in a year rocked by
high-profile disclosures of NSA spying reaching into our online accounts,
many companies have responded by increasing their commitment to
transparency, pushing back against mass surveillance, and fighting for
their users. The full
report<https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-government-data-requests-2014>goes
into extensive detail about how each company performed, and what
exactly our evaluation criteria were. Public policies and commitments
aren't the last word when it comes to defending your privacy, but as we
trust online services with more and more of our information, it's an
increasingly important component. If you're concerned about your privacy
from overreaching surveillance, you'll want to know: when the government
comes knocking, who has your
back<https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-government-data-requests-2014>
?
It's Time to Defend Net Neutrality: Tell the FCC What you Think of its
Proposed Regulations <https://dearfcc.org/>

Today the FCC met to discuss new rules that could determine the future of
network neutrality. There’s been a lot of news
circulating<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/fccs-new-rules-could-threaten-net-neutrality>about
what the FCC's plan will contain. And while we haven't seen the text
of the plan yet, we know the agency is still considering a set of rules
that will allow Internet providers to differentiate how we access websites.
But the FCC is clearly hearing the public outcry to protect the future of
the Internet. The agency announced that they are seeking comment on wider
set of initiatives that would stop ISPs from setting up pay-to-play
Internet fast lanes. The FCC is opening a four-month comment window to hear
from people across country about how their proposed rules will effect the
future of our Internet. So we must take this opportunity to speak up —
early, and often. EFF has created a tool to help. Visit
DearFCC.org<https://dearfcc.org/>to raise your voice and make sure the
FCC is clear on this point: We don't
want regulations that will turn ISPs into gatekeepers to their subscribers.
EFF Updates

Victory! Chevron Withdraws Subpoenas to Anonymous Email Users Represented
by EFF and EarthRights
International<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/long-fought-victory-anonymous-email-users-chevron-agrees-withdraw-google-and-yahoo>

EFF and EarthRights International represented Ecuadorian environmental
activists, attorneys, and journalists fighting against the environmental
damage caused by Chevron in Ecuador. After several court battles, Chevron
agreed to withdraw subpoenas to Yahoo! and Google requesting extensive and
troubling information about webmail users.

The Morality Police in Your Checking Account: Chase Bank Shuts Down
Accounts of Adult
Entertainers<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/moral-police-your-checking-account-chase-bank-shuts-down-accounts-adult>

Chase Bank sent letters to hundreds of adult entertainers informing them
that their bank accounts would be shut down without giving a reason. Some
are speculating that the Department of Justice's misguided "Operation
Chokepoint" program may be behind the move.

International Day Against DRM: It's Time to Fix U.S. Copyright
Law<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/understanding-digital-rights-management-international-day-against-drm>

Digital rights management (DRM) is technology that purportedly exists to
protect against copyright infringement, but in practice limits how people
use and share technology they have paid for.

We’ve Got TPP Right Where We Want It: Going
Nowhere<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/tpp-right-where-we-want-it-going-nowhere>

The secrecy surrounding the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade
agreement, and the massive opposition TPP has faced from all sides, appears
to be stalling the negotiation process.

The White House Big Data Report: The Good, The Bad, and The
Missing<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/white-house-big-data-report-good-bad-and-missing>

We did an in-depth analysis of a big data report commissioned by President
Obama. While the report addresses issues like the dangers of discrimination
based on big data, it ignores others, and even has some concerning
suggestions, such as likening whistleblowers to violent criminals.

EFF Calls for Release of Ethiopian Dissident
Bloggers<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/eff-calls-release-ethiopian-dissident-bloggers>

Bloggers in Ethiopia who are critical of the government face censorship,
intimidation, and pervasive surveillance. Recently, six dissident bloggers
were arrested--the government of Ethiopia must release them now.

Government Plays Fast and Loose with Technology in Supreme Court Cell Phone
Cases<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/government-plays-fast-and-loose-technology-supreme-court-cell-phone-cases>

The government's arguments in two Supreme Court cases regarding cell phone
searches by law enforcement included extreme mischaracterizations both of
how cell phone technology works and how people use it.

Pols to Ad Networks: Pretend We Passed SOPA, and Never Mind About Violating
Antitrust
Law<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/pols-ad-networks-pretend-we-passed-sopa-and-never-mind-about-antitrust>

Members of Congress are pressuring ad networks to blacklist sites based on
easy to abuse commercial definitions of "pirate sites." This mimics the
Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) even though public pressure ensured that SOPA
did not become law, and it may very well violate federal antitrust law.

EFF Releases Alpha Version of Privacy Badger, a New Tool to Help Block
Trackers and Spy Ads <https://www.eff.org/privacybadger>

EFF has released our first version of Privacy Badger, a new open source
browser add-on for Firefox and Chrome that stops advertisers and other
third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you
look at on the web.
miniLinks

The battle against pervasive surveillance can be won –
really!<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/10/the-battle-to-retake-our-privacy-can-be-won-in-the-halls-of-congress-really?CMP=twt_gu>

Between legislative action like USA FREEDOM, direct action like Reset the
Net, and legal action like EFF's NSA cases, we will see real change to the
NSA.

Why I Licensed Under Creative Commons: I’m Building the World I Want to
Live
In<http://www.slhuang.com/blog/2014/04/27/why-i-licensed-under-creative-commons-im-building-the-world-i-want-to-live-in/>

Novelist SL Huang explains how using Creative Commons licenses helps
creativity thrive.

Cops Must Swear Silence to Access Vehicle Tracking
System<http://www.wired.com/2014/05/license-plate-tracking/>

Cops who use a private vehicle tracking database can't cooperate with the
media, according to its user agreement.
Supported by Members

Our members make it possible for EFF to bring legal and technological
expertise into crucial battles about online rights. Whether defending free
speech online or challenging unconstitutional surveillance, your
participation makes a difference. Every donation gives technology users who
value freedom online a stronger voice and more formidable advocate.

Please consider becoming an EFF member today.

Donate Today <https://supporters.eff.org/join/effector>
Administrivia

Editor: Nadia Kayyali, Activist
*edi...@eff.org* <edi...@eff.org>

EFFector is a publication of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
*eff.org* <https://www.eff.org/>

Membership & donation queries: *members...@eff.org* <members...@eff.org>

General EFF, legal, policy, or online resources queries:
*i...@eff.org*<i...@eff.org>

*Reproduction* of this publication in electronic media is *encouraged*.
MiniLinks do not necessarily represent the views of EFF.

*Back issues of EFFector* <https://www.eff.org/effector/>

*Change your email address * <https://www.eff.org/profileupdate>

This newsletter is printed from 100% recycled electrons.

EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy. *Privacy
Policy*<http://www.eff.org/policy>.

*Unsubscribe or change your email
preferences*<https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/profile/edit?reset=1&gid=14&id=1721910&cs=587d65fcb3f5364dec135309c2ae18db_1400222614_168>,
or *opt out of all EFF
email*<https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=5018&qid=27481722&h=e16a7a0f33193dfc>

815 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94109-7701
United States

    [image: Join EFF!] <https://supporters.eff.org/join/effector>   Members
make it possible for EFF to fight for your rights. Become a member today.
Announcements

EFF at the Los Angeles Chapter Information Systems Security Association
Summit <https://www.eff.org/event/eff-issa-la-information-security-summit>

EFF Staff Attorney Nate Cardozo will join a panel of experts for a
discussion entitled Privacy and Security in the Age of NSA and Snowden
exploring corporate data collection and government spying.
Don't forget to stop by the EFF table!
DISCOUNT FOR EFF SUPPORTERS: Receive a 25% discount on
registration<http://summit.issala.org/register>when you use the promo
code EFF_Summit_25.

*May 16, 2014 Los Angeles, CA*

EFF at Bitcoin 2014 <https://www.eff.org/event/bitcoin-2014>

EFF Activism Director Rainey Reitman and EFF Special Counsel Marcia Hofmann
will give a talk on "Bitcoin as a Liberty-Enhancing Technology: Case
Studies in Financial Censorship and the SOPA Saga" on Saturday May 17th.
After their presentation, they will participate in a panel discussion about
Bitcoin and government relations.

* May 17, 2014 Amsterdam, Netherlands*

EFF at Bay Area Maker
Faire<https://www.eff.org/event/eff-bay-area-maker-faire-2014>

Join EFF at Maker Faire Bay Area! We are proud to support the rights of
modern innovators and promote the spirit of DIY creativity and freedom.
Stop by the EFF Maker Faire booth to learn more and become an official EFF
member.

*May 18-19, 2014 San Francisco, CA *

Techno-Activism Third Mondays
(TA3)<https://www.eff.org/event/techno-activism-third-mondays-ta3m-1>

Techno-Activism Third Mondays (TA3M) are informal meetups that occur on the
same date in many cities worldwide. It is designed to connect
techno-activists and hacktivists who work on or with circumvention tools,
and/or are interested in anti-censorship and anti-surveillance technology.
TA3M are held in New York, Washington, DC, Amsterdam, Portland, Tokyo, and
more.

* May 19, 2014 EFF Offices 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco*

Personal Democracy Forum
(PDF)<https://www.eff.org/event/personal-democracy-forum-pdf>

EFF's Rainey Reitman and Jillian York will speak at the Personal Democracy
Forum. PDF brings together a thousand top opinion makers, political
practitioners, technologists, and journalists from across the ideological
spectrum for two days to network, exchange ideas, and explore how
technology and wired citizens are changing politics, governance, and civil
society.

*June 5-6, 2014 New York, NY*

How NSA Spying Can Affect Your Legal Case and What Steps You Can Take to
Protect Your
Client<https://www.eff.org/event/what-you-dont-know-can-hurt-you-how-nsa-spying-can-affect-your-case-and-what-steps-you-can>

EFF Staff Attorney Hanni Fakhoury will give a one hour CLE presentation for
the Bar Association of San Francisco, discussing how NSA and other
intelligence communities gather and tip information to law enforcement
agencies in routine criminal cases. He will also explain steps criminal
defense attorneys can take to figure out if NSA derived evidence is being
used against their clients.

*June 19, 2014 Bar Association of San Francisco 301 Battery St, San
Francisco, CA *
   EFF on [image: twitter] <http://twitter.com/eff> [image:
facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/eff> [image:
google plus] <https://plus.google.com/+eff> [image: