Hello,

Only their photographs of public domain two-dimensional works are
compatible with Wikimedia Commons' upload policy, so that excludes most of
what they are sharing.

The works that they are sharing which are compatible with Wikipedia are
very impressive. I know of no one who is uploading them to Commons as a
collection but I have taken their work as I liked it and shared it.

Despite what the museum director says in the press release, they are not
providing images in accord with "open access" principles as they forbid
reuse in commercial publications, like school textbooks.

The project is a big deal but still keeps major barriers between itself and
the open educational resource movement.

yours,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Maria Cruz <mc...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> anyone knows if this MET initiative[1] is viable to have a reverberation in
> Commons, or if it is already a project in the community?
>
> I see this is very similar to the British Library donation, on December
> 2013[2], that quickly started to spread on to Commons[3].
>
> Any knowledge about this would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> MarĂ­a
>

> [1] http://metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/press-room/news/2014/oasc-access
> [2]