On 21 May 2014 12:22, Russavia <russavia.wikipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A couple of things popped into my head that I am unsure of, but hope
> someone might be able to answer.
>
> 1) I understand that processing of UK donations in the US has significant
> tax implications on the funds collected. I would imagine that the WMF
> couldn't claim anywhere near the same tax relief on this income in the USA?

Very significant; with some caveats, any donation from someone who a)
is a basic rate taxpayer (earns more than ~£10k/year) and b) fills in
a short form agreeing to it, gets increased by 25% by HMRC.

This is handled by the charity rather than the donor - ie, the donor
still pays tax and then the charity recovers it, rather than the donor
claiming a tax deduction as in the US model. (It's an open question
which of these is more efficient...).

I don't believe an overseas charity would be eligible for this rebate,
and so money paid to WMF directly by UK residents is not going to get
this aid.

> 2) If there are tax implications, wouldn't it make more sense for the WMF
> to register its own charity in the UK, thereby it could essentially take
> WMUK out of the equation completely?

...which is why WMUK was created in the first place, including a lot
of legal back-and-forth to demonstrate that it was actually possible
under charity law! (It took quite a while to get to this stage,
including a first chapter which basically fizzled, but charitable
donations was right there on day one as an issue.)

The chapter qua chapter has done some pretty good things, but one of
the big drivers from the very first discussions back in 2005 (or
earlier?) was the efficiency of being able to fundraise and take
advantage of gift aid; everything else followed on since then. Of
course, Wikimedia as a whole had a lot less money in 2005 and we were
all somewhat unclear on what a chapter could actually do ;-)

So it seems a little weird, to me, to create a second charity to do
the job that the first one was created for...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk