On 5 June 2014 18:33, Luis Villa <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> If you still have concerns, please put them on the talk page. Just like we
> did this time around, we'll review all those comments and incorporate them
> when we next revise the policy, or, if appropriate, incorporate it into the
> FAQ. We're also still welcoming questions about the data retention
> guidelines, and will continue to revise that as a living document that
> reflects our current best practices:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_retention_guidelines
>
> Hope that helps clarify.

It does clarify.

The thinking behind Nemo's irony in response to Nathan's statement, is
probably in part due to the fact that some concerns were ignored (i.e.
no reply of any sort from legal) and then archived as addressed
without comment, while other concerns were debated at length, some
volunteers dropping out probably due to volunteer fatigue during that
process, but with little or no end impact on the policy. The statement
on this email list was:
"As a result, the finished policy has rightly garnered a lot of
support and approval"

This is true, however it is more accurate to say:
"As a result, the policy has rightly garnered a lot of debate."

Reflecting the tone of your email, you may prefer a more politic but
still accurate statement of:
"As a result, the policy has benefited from an extensive process of
consultation, resulting in several changes being included by WMF
Legal."

At the end of the day, the websites are owned by the Foundation, and
it is WMF Legal that advises the Foundation board of trustees on these
aspects and proposes policy documents. I am grateful that even though
you could go away into a back-room and come out with Vatican style
proclamations of policy, instead you make attempts to consult with
those members of the community interested in participating on meta. At
times this is time consuming, however even when done, this is not
evidence of "support and approval". Perhaps such a claim could be made
if the process included an extensive !vote on the outcome with
overwhelming support, however this would be a dodgy proposition if WMF
legal were unable to recommend the result.

Fae