Russavia wrote:
>As GerardM mentioned in the thread relating to the Berlin conference,
>wikiconferences are an opportunity for wikimedians to come together to
>share in knowledge.

I attended WikiConference USA this year. It was a wonderful event and I
was particularly impressed with the organizers' work. Congrats to all of
them for a job well done!

>New York Magazine published an article on the conference which gives
>us great insight into everything that is wrong with the wiki
>culture.[1]

I know for certain that there quite a few people who feel that you,
Russavia, are actively damaging and degrading the wiki culture with your
actions... perhaps the same would be said of me and others, though I hope
not.

>Out of curiosity, what was the total cost to "the movement" for this
>knowledge sharing opportunity, and do people consider it money well
>spent given the golden sound bytes the conference generated in the
>media?
>
>[1] http://nym.ag/1urkXlD

In the medium, you mean? You've only linked to one story, a story that
happens to conveniently link to a press release about a certain banned
editor. Interesting. :-)

This article also seems to make some strange claims; e.g., the article
claims that there are only 22,000 registered Wikipedians. Given where it
links to, what it discusses, and the seeming inaccuracy of facts it
includes, I'm not sure how much this piece should be trusted.

MZMcBride