Hello,

Ali is being modest.

Not only is Wikimedia Bangladesh among only the 5% who got NGO
registration, but they are also among the 1% to do it without paying anyone
a bribe. I have heard that they were asked for money many times to make
things go more quickly. Perhaps people outside the region do not know, but
there are a lot of desks that all want to stamp the registration papers
before giving the final approval. For a foreign-affiliated Internet
technology organization mostly run by younger people who have a
relationship to a major Internet property to be able to get a registration
without paying any bribe is probably unprecedented in the history of South
Asia. Getting a registration is something to be proud of, but getting it
completely honestly means that a lot of extra work went into the
registration just to keep a good reputation.

I am thrilled with the good example this sets and not only is having the
registration a wonderful thing for the Wikimedia community, but also this
shows an excellent precedent for all Bangladeshi community activists
because they have a bright example in Wikimedia Bangladesh that paying a
bribe is not necessary to get an NGO registration. This is really something
to publicize, stress, and note as a point of pride. No one should forget
this as it really takes a lot of sacrifices to do this without bribing and
in terms of cost, it actually is cheaper to save time and pay the bribes.

I hope that this encourages other organizations in Bangladesh to also file
their own NGO paperwork and accomplish whatever they feel ought to be done.

Congratulations a thousand times!

yours,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemow...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Tonmoy Khan, 10/06/2014 19:28:
>
>  less than 5 applications for registration as societies get
>> approved out of every 100. We submitted our application in May 2012
>>

> That's heroic, thanks.
>
> Nemo

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia