Wow. Thank you, Lane, for spelling out the difficulty of making this
happen. It really places this accomplishment in context. It sounds like it
is more than a free knowledge win, it's also a win for Bangladesh civil
society.

Well done all! What an accomplishment. Wow. Congratulations.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Lane Rasberry <l...@bluerasberry.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ali is being modest.
>
> Not only is Wikimedia Bangladesh among only the 5% who got NGO
> registration, but they are also among the 1% to do it without paying anyone
> a bribe. I have heard that they were asked for money many times to make
> things go more quickly. Perhaps people outside the region do not know, but
> there are a lot of desks that all want to stamp the registration papers
> before giving the final approval. For a foreign-affiliated Internet
> technology organization mostly run by younger people who have a
> relationship to a major Internet property to be able to get a registration
> without paying any bribe is probably unprecedented in the history of South
> Asia. Getting a registration is something to be proud of, but getting it
> completely honestly means that a lot of extra work went into the
> registration just to keep a good reputation.
>
> I am thrilled with the good example this sets and not only is having the
> registration a wonderful thing for the Wikimedia community, but also this
> shows an excellent precedent for all Bangladeshi community activists
> because they have a bright example in Wikimedia Bangladesh that paying a
> bribe is not necessary to get an NGO registration. This is really something
> to publicize, stress, and note as a point of pride. No one should forget
> this as it really takes a lot of sacrifices to do this without bribing and
> in terms of cost, it actually is cheaper to save time and pay the bribes.
>
> I hope that this encourages other organizations in Bangladesh to also file
> their own NGO paperwork and accomplish whatever they feel ought to be done.
>
> Congratulations a thousand times!
>
> yours,
>

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemow...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Tonmoy Khan, 10/06/2014 19:28:
> >
> >  less than 5 applications for registration as societies get
> >> approved out of every 100. We submitted our application in May 2012
> >>

> > That's heroic, thanks.
> >
> > Nemo

> Lane Rasberry
> user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia