On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Re: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PRSTATEMENT
>
> The statement is a nice read and it's hardly objectionable. I'd expect
> nothing less from a group of public relations folks, all of whom have a
> very vested interest in presenting themselves as good guys.
>
> However, my gut feeling here is that this statement is a sham. My
> (cynical) read of this statement is basically "agencies such as ours keep
> getting caught editing on behalf of clients and it turns into a real
> shit-storm, so we'll say we'll play by the rules now, even though we'll
> really just hire contractors and subcontractors to do our dirty work."
>
> These public relations firms are paid millions of dollars to ensure that
> their clients look good on the Internet. Wikipedia is a major player on
> the Internet, but Wikipedia's purpose is not to make these clients look
> good, it's to have objective and neutral educational content about notable
> entities. Both public relations firms and Wikipedia are served by better,
> more accurate articles, but only one side is being paid millions of
> dollars each year to ensure that the information makes clients look good.
>
> It also seems a bit strange that these companies feel it appropriate to
> use the English Wikipedia as their hosting platform for this statement.
> This probably needs further thought and consideration. It isn't as though
> any of these companies would have difficulty buying hosting elsewhere to
> post their essays and statements about how they're now reformed.
>
> About the general trend, this practice is not novel. As I wrote in May
> 2012, the current approach by (particular) paid editors is a "radical
> transparency" approach, it seems. The idea is that if you do everything
> out in the open, you can't later be punished because everyone was aware of
> what you were doing and who you were doing it for. It remains an open
> question whether this approach is working well or benefitting Wikipedia.
>
> MZMcBride

One reason to think its legit and not a smokescreen? Signing on to the
statement substantially increases the potential costs of being caught
violating WP policies. Clients hiring bare knuckles PR experts may not have
a high regard for the importance of our site policies. If news gets blasted
out that a firm said "We'll abide by these principles, we promise!" and
then publicly fails to do so, clients might care about that more.