On 15/06/2014 17:11, Austin Hair wrote:

>>Are we subscribed to the same list? It looks to me like everyone else here has moved on. I urge you to do the same.

Charles Ainsworth (en:user:cla68) mentioned to me an incident from his army days when a soldier got drunk and drove a Hummer into the main building of the army camp, causing about $240k of damage. The monthly camp newspaper never mentioned the incident, but just kept on with the same old round of stuff that you see in such monthly papers.

We don't need to get into the details of the sordid relationship gossip etc to discuss the main issue. There exists a Wikipedia criticism site, whose existence is rarely discussed in Wikipedia world, except briefly and dismissively. The partner of the incoming ED has been involved with the site and has commented that many of its members (some of them longterm banned users) are quite reasonable people. This has been controversial among Wikipedians in 'good standing', hence the 'gossip'. I mean, it clearly has aroused some very strong feelings. Wouldn't it be better to talk about these?

From an article about Ibsen: "The principles of Ibsen's teaching, his moral ethic, was that honesty in facing facts is the first requisite of a decent life. Human nature has dark recesses which must be explored and illuminated; life has pitfalls which must be recognized to be avoided; and society has humbugs, hypocrisies, and obscure diseases which must be revealed before they can be cured. To recognize these facts is not pessimism; it is the moral obligation laid upon intelligent people. "
http://www.theatredatabase.com/19th_century/henrik_ibsen_001.html