We need an Uncommons, where the strict open license / PD rules are abandoned
and we accept images as long as their fair use can be established.  And don't
delete unless that fair use is credibly questioned.

Conflating and comingling our educational role with open content advocacy was
always risky and is proving impossible.  Without devaluing open content, we
need to separately support fair use for educational purposes, and stop letting
cross-project advocacy games screw with our educational mission.

Third parties may or may not be able to re-redistribute, but we simply put it
up with an explicit "reuse at your own risk".

I don't recall if the code which handles finding images at Commons can take a
search path of multiple alternate image sources; if so, I would like to propose
Uncommons as a project, initial central file upload default target replacement
for Commons, and putting it in said search path.

This has gone on too long.

-george william herbert
george.herb...@gmail.com

Sent from Kangphone