Hi Erik,
I would remember that in IEG or PEG there are several proposals of software
development but every time these proposals don't offer a well defined
approach to the maintenance.

We know that maintenance is an important phase of the software development
and it would be good to know if the software will be developed and will
remain frozen at the last step or if there will be an idea to create at
least a community around it in order to keep it updated and aligned with
any future features that can come from the GLAM community, for instance.

To maintain a software is not mandatory and the open license can assure
that at least another one can take it in charge.

Anyway a GLAM adopting a software can be really worried if this software
becomes outdated, and this risk is higher if the change of this software
can have a big impact, and probably the same reputation of the GLAM
community can receive a worst reputation.

I think that it should be important if some statements can come from the
WMF about the consideration to take care about the *lifecycle* of the
software considering also that this is a cost (and sometimes a higher cost
in comparison with the other phases).

I think that this may help also the IEG and/or the PEG committee to better
evaluate a proposal.

Regards

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH