Erik (and others), is there any coordination page where groups could place,
take, or discuss "requests for development" or "requests for maintenance"?

I saw often that sometimes the hard-to-achieve consensus is found, but
there is no way to evaluate the idea further. What now happens is:
- several development proposals materialize through different channels
(community, user groups, idea lab, RFCs, etc)
- there is a general consensus about "project A"
- limbo.... or an IEG, but as Ilario says, that doesn't guarantee its
future viability or integration with current or planned workflows, or
availability of resources for maintenance

It would be more rational to have a further step in the pipeline where
development ideas could be commented, "shot down", or "approved for further
commitment" by the ones who actually can understand how they fit in the
broader product management/life-cycle context (engineering? PMs?
chapters?).
There are often community ideas that on first sight look great, but when
you think about the potential problems, implications, costs, or stepping on
the toes of other developments, that it is more rational not to start them
or delay them until certain conditions are met. But no voice is heard, and
that causes frustration and a sense of disconnection in the community, when
just a single statement "this shouldn't be done because X", would make
everyone more aware of the limits.
And the opposite too, when some idea gather community support and is
green-lighted for further commitment, that would make chapters or other
organizations more confident about what is wanted and how.

Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non