Dear Ms. Tretikov,

Would you please speak on the new revision of the "Access to Non-Public
Information" policy? Can you express your objection to it? Can you express your
support of it? You'll find it here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Access_to_nonpublic_information_policy

This governs the conditions by which the WMF grants access to potentially
personally-identifying data such as IPs and web-browser profiles of Wikipedia
editors. It grants these to particular administrative participants, for example
checkusers and oversighters and arbitrators, of the various "communities," for
example the Wikipedias of various languages.

Under the terms of the prior access policy, those administrative participants
were required to send a fax or scanned copy of an identification document.
Editors were led to believe that the WMF kept record of who these people
actually were. It was repeatedly claimed that they had "identified to WMF."
This soothed the concerns of editors like me that thought, okay, well at least
someone knows who they are. The truth was that a WMF employee marked a chart of
usernames only that the administrative participant's ID showed someone 18 or
over, and then shredded or otherwise destroyed those records. The phrase that
so-and-so "has identified to WMF" or "is identified to WMF" was so commonly
stated, including by the WMF, that I regard it as a great deception and
betrayal that it really was shredding and destroying the identifications.

The new policy is even worse. It abandons the mere pretense of an
identification. So while it goes the wrong direction, at least it ceases to
deceive. All it calls for now is an email address, an assertion that the person
is 18 or over, and an assertion that the owner of the email account has read a
short confidentiality agreement. The person need not provide a real name. You
are well aware that various web-email services offer basically untraceable
email addresses. You are well aware that only a named person can enter into
agreement on confidentiality. An agreement by a Wikipedia username with an
untraceable email address is not only unenforceable, it is a ludicrous
proposition.

The webpage says the policy is not in effect yet. I urge you to reject it as
written and instead have it amended to actually require identification for
those faceless entities you prepare to turn loose with potentially cyberstalker
tools.

Whatever your stance, I do call on you to speak on the question. Say "yea," say
"nay," or say "not my concern," but at least speak.

Trillium Corsage