On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Patricio Lorente <
patricio.lore...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends in the Wikimedia community,
>

> After meeting face-to-face in May to deliberate on the four proposals
> they received for the 2013-2014 Round 2 annual plan grants, the Funds
> Dissemination Committee (FDC) posted their funding recommendations to
> the WMF Board of Trustees. [1]
>
> Four proposals were submitted in this round, and one of them (the
> Wikimedia Foundation) did not receive a dollar allocation. Funding
> requests from the three other organizations (Centre for Internet and
> Society, Wikimédia France and Wikimedia Norge) this round totaled
> US$1,555,953.
>
> The funds available for movement entities through the FDC process in
> 2013–2014 was US$6,000,000. Of this, $4,432,000 was allocated in Round
> 1, leaving $1,568,000 for Round 2. In this round, the FDC has
> recommended funding allocations totaling approximately $1,235,062. The
> remaining approximately $332,938 will be returned to the Wikimedia
> Foundation's reserves. The recommended allocation for the WMF is
> excluded from this, as it includes the next year's budget for the
> Wikimedia movement as a whole.
>
> I am pleased to share with you the news that the Board of Trustees has
> made the decision to approve the FDC's 2013-2014 Round 2 funding
> recommendations in full. [2] These funding recommendations will now be
> implemented by the Foundation.
>
> Many people have put in significant work to make this process a
> success. As the Board Representatives to the FDC, we would like to
> thank the Round 2 applicants themselves, the Funds Dissemination
> Committee members and staff, and the members of the community who
> participated in the community review period. We congratulate the
> applicants and look forward to learning more about how their annual
> plans progress.
>
> Best,
>
> Patricio Lorente and Bishakha Datta, Board Representatives to the FDC
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_portal/FDC_recommendations/2013-2014_round2
>
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_portal/Board_decisions/2013-2014_round2
>
> --
> Patricio Lorente

Hi Patricio,

I have a question about something in the "software development" portion of
the FDC recommendations regarding the Wikimedia Foundation proposal.

In that, it says "The effectiveness of persona-based strategy for the
identification of user needs and prioritization is not clear, as no
evaluation of this has been done after the roll-out of Mobile apps.  It is
suggested that the software team assesses the effectiveness of its
processes, tools, team by an appropriate mix of surveys, and use of experts
in the field and take corrective action to address the gaps."

Which mobile apps are you referring to?

This passage seemed to lack sufficient detail to explain what was being
commented on, and why. Many teams have used user-centered design tools like
personas, user stories, and usability testing. Not all of them are used in
the same way, and we don't use a single "one size fits all" approach to
gathering user needs since every product tends to target different kinds of
users (mobile vs desktop, readers vs new editors vs existing editors, and
so on). In this regard, the feedback is somewhat confusing and not very
actionable.

Steven