Hi all, I've started a new wiki called Offwiki: http://offwiki.org.
Our community discusses potential changes to Wikipedia and its
Wikimedia sister projects that aren't easily discussed in forums like
this mailing list. We also try new ideas that we hope will be adopted
on-wiki- both social and technical in nature.

But that's not the primary reason I'm writing all of you. I've noticed
that many prominent Wikipedians have created accounts to avoid
impostors claiming their very public usernames for themselves. My
apologies, but Wikimedia doesn't run an OpenID server, and there's
really no other way for me to confirm identities before a user has
created a username. The problem is technical, and AFAIK there is
nothing I can do about it.

So, if you're concerned about your username being phished out, then
consider creating an account at http://offwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page.
Maybe you'll even stick around for a few minutes to see what we've
been up to. :)

Thanks.
,Wil