Per directing the conversation here to wiki-research-l, I'd like to link to
a post I made in the relevant thread there that describes the history of my
work on subject recruitment support.  See
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiki-research-l/2014-July/003579.html

Per Lane's comments, I look forward to improving support and engagement
with researchers and removing any suggestion of WMF control from the
process.   To echo Lane's assertion: *Researchers are awesome and they need
support.*   I'd like to add that: *Wikipedians are awesome and need to be
empowered by the process.*

-Aaron